Author Topic: Anti Theft slow locating.  (Read 3300 times)

saddameu

Anti Theft slow locating.
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
Hello,I found a behavior that doesn`t seem right to me.Please check the video.
 http://youtu.be/MWgcE-vtm0Q
Useless 3 mins of battery drain by wifi/3g and gps.
I hope we will see improvements in the next version.
I hope that the next version will make the phone to automatically connect to open wifis.It can be a phone saver if the thief gets near some open wifis.
I really like this app and it can get perfect if the programmers care about bugs/suggestions.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Anti Theft slow locating.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:01 PM »
Hello,

if you auto-enable GPS, Anti-Theft will try to get a gps fix. This can take a while - especially indoors where the phone just can't get a gps fix.
Since the Anti-Theft features are built for emergency situations, it's importaint to be as reliable as possible and to take every chance.

Werner

saddameu

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
Then is a good behavior when the gps is enabled but it has the same behavior if it doesn`t check for gps so it still needs an improvement !!!

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
even if GPS is disabled we try to scan for WIFI access points and network data until 3 minutes are over. as werner said, we want to make sure to wait at least for some time until we give up.
if we get position data from each of the available sources (if GPS is disabled, then network, and WIFI) we quit earlier.

saddameu

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
any change in the next version to see an option where we could choose a timeout we want?A 3g location needs few seconds so the rest of the minutes are useless.The faster you get the location the less chances that the theft will notice the wifi/gps/3g getting enabled by itself making him suspicious.

mauro1970mvr

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »
Be aware that GP signals are not instantaneous and definitely not accurate. This is by design. Civilian satellites are far less accurate and responsive than military satellites.

Still, avast will still map points over a long interval (say 20 mins) after issuing the Locate command.