Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Web scnner as server?

(1/3) > >>

joe-lee:
Since I updated, I get the following message from Zone Alarm.
Do I want Avast web scanner and components to act as a server. Its Ashwebsv.exe

I believe there is one for the email component to act as server also.

Am I suppose to click yes to these questions?
Thanks
Joe

Eddy:
Yes, ashwebsv.exe is the new provider in Avast.

stevejrc:
They dont need to act as server, only as client/access. Server means incomming connections not incomming data from which you have requested through client/access. Not allowing Server is like barring incomming calls on a mobile phone, you can still call out and listen to others but they cant call you.

I have nothing in zonealarm acting as server and everything works fine, IE, outlook, avast/windows updates, avast webshield etc.

Vlk:
joe-lee & stevejrc, both ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe are by design server-type applications. They act as a (proxy) server for your mail client and Internet browser (i.e. "pick up incoming calls" from these programs). They then re-route the request to the real servers on the Internet and return the result to your mail client / browser.

This is a classic concept of a proxy. You may find more about this on the Internet.

Thanks
Vlk

stevejrc:
I understand that, a local proxy doesn't need server rights, see following thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7223955~mode=flat~days=9999

webshield scans fine without "act as server".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version