Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Web scnner as server?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Vlk:
It needs LOCALHOST server right (in the parlance of that dslreports thread), whatever that means for ZA.

errenay:
Does it mean that I should give web scanner server rights in Trusted Zone only (Zone Alarm Pro, newest version)? Or also in Internet zone?

Jarmo P:

--- Quote --- I understand that, a local proxy doesn't need server rights, see following thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7223955~mode=flat~days=9999
--- End quote ---

I think the same as you Steve.

As far as I can see it goes like this.
Browser makes contact outbound through that WebShield, or rather webshield then makes the contact.  WebShield then controls the incoming data cause of that outbound happened connection.
Scans the files etc. before allowing them to the browser.

So WebShield does not need to listen constantly for any requests from the internet.
It is not anyways a server program in a sense like instant messengers or a file server. When using a firewall Webshield only needs a client right.

Same goes for ashMaiSv.exe. It does not need a server right in a firewall rule, only a client right specifically for ports TCP 25110,119 .
I have noticed this though. I can close my Thunderbird email/newsclient but ashMaiSv still remains connected to the email/news servers. But it is connected through that outbound connection that was first established by starting Thunderbird.

Jarmo

stevejrc:
yea, at the end of the day its trial and error, if the webshield scanned count goes up its working.  ;D
I dont have anything with server rights.

sded:
But as Vik pointed out, the Avast! mail and web scanners are constantly listening to the localhost ports.  There is no mail or web client up in the attached picture (from Kerio) and the avast! processes are waiting for a client request on the appropriate ports.  Sounds like servers for mail and web clients to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version