Author Topic: Multiple POP3 accounts, re-visited  (Read 5211 times)

MLReynolds

Multiple POP3 accounts, re-visited
« on: September 13, 2003, 04:48:38 PM »
I have been using Avast for several months now, and would like to purchase the product in the near future, but would first like to resolve the following issue regarding multiple POP3 accounts.

I’m still having a problem getting Avast to scan some of my email accounts. My ISP (citlink.net) hosts several email accounts for me. There is no problem with those accounts. The problem is with the pop3 e-mail accounts on my web site. I have used the Avast Mail Protection Wizard, with Auto and Manual set up, followed all of the instructions and dozens of “shot-in-the-dark” approaches to get Avast to scan my web site e-mail. Without success.

I am using Pegasus Mail, v4.11, on a Windows 98 OS.

My Avast4.ini Settings read:
[MailScanner]
DefaultPopServer=pop3.citlink.net
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.citlink.net
ShowTrayIcon=1
AutoSetProtection=0  

My e-mail settings for e-mail through my ISP read:
Server Host Name: 127.0.0.1
User Name           : myname#pop3.citlink.net
And those work great!

In order to receive e-mail via my web site, my e-mail settings read:
Server Host Name: mail.mysite.us
User Name           : myname+mysite.us

Any changes to those settings result in invalid user name errors. Must there be a second pop server in the .ini file? I’ve tried, but may not have worded it correctly.

If I can provide any more information, please ask. I would like very much to support your company by purchasing the product, but first need to know that I can get it to work on all e-mail accounts. I’m not concerned with scanning out bound mail, only inbound.

Thank you,
Michael  

Walker

Re:Multiple POP3 accounts, re-visited
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 01:38:20 AM »

My e-mail settings for e-mail through my ISP read:
User Name           : myname#pop3.citlink.net
And those work great!

User Name           : myname+mysite.us

Hi,

I'm no genius, not an Avast employee or GUru, but I also use Pegasus mail in a similar configuration as yourself.

I find that with my web hosted e-mail accounts Avast work well by using the web services mail servers IP address(s) instead of the name

You might want to try using

User Name           : myname#111.111.111.111

Obviously 111. etc being replaced with your web hosting mail servers IP's, which you hosting company should supply.

btw; there is a newer version of Pegasus (some bug fixes)

Just a thought, good luck.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 02:01:48 AM by Walker »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 12:48:45 PM »
Hi,

first I don't think replacing the DNS addresses (such as mysite.us) with IP addresses (such as 11.11.11.11) should make any difference. If it does there must be some serious problem with your DNS server config etc...

But to answer your question, Michael:

User Name          : myname+mysite.us

First, what exactly is the username? Does it really contain the plus character? Anyway, have you tried to set it like

User Name          : myname+mysite.us#mail.mysite.us

? This is how it should be, normally (this is how the Mail Protection Wizard should set it up).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 01:42:42 PM »
first I don't think replacing the DNS addresses (such as mysite.us) with IP addresses (such as 11.11.11.11) should make any difference. If it does there must be some serious problem with your DNS server config etc...

Hi Vlk,

Gladly bow to your superior knowledge and I don't know why it should make a difference, It's a 'Pegasus thing' which used to be (don't know if it still is) a solution for these kind of problems... works for me  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 01:54:33 PM »
All right, it's a bug in Pegasus, then. What I meant is that once the host identifier hits the OS networking subsystem it shouldn not make any difference whether it's a IP or DNS address - it should be handled transparently.

Thanks, Walker, I don't know/use Pegasus so your assistance is highly welcome. :)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MLReynolds

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 08:10:04 PM »
VLK,

Thank you for your help.
User Name: myname+mysite.us#mail.mysite.us works fine (yes, the "+" is valid, though "#" would probably work as well).

Thanks again.

Walker,

Thank you for your input and help.

Michael