Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Avast 4.6/firewall incompatibility

(1/2) > >>

Tulkas:
Hello,

I've been having problems with loading web sites and updating programs since I downloaded the latest Avast! version, build 4.6.603.  There seems to be an incompatibility between Avast! on-access (OA) protection and my firewall.  If I disable the firewall (shudder) then all web sites will load as expected.  If I disable OA protection and leave the firewall active then the sites load as expected.  A peculiar thing is that SOME sites, tinyurl.com for instance, will load all right with both firewall and OA protection active.  Other sites, refdesk.com for instance, will not. 

System configuration:

OS - Win2K Pro
CPU - Intel Celron, 1,100 mHz.
RAM - 512 mb.
Firewall - AtGuard version 3.2.  Yes, I know it's an antique but it has some features that I like.

Firewall configuration - The following programs; in addition to the default ICMP, domain, bootpc, bootps, netbios-ns and localhost, are permitted access to the Internet:

avast.setup
eudora.exe
gravity.exe
Mozilla Firebird
firefox.exe
ashWebSv.exe
Ad-Aware.exe
a2upd.exe
SpybotSD.exe
spade.exe

I followed someone's suggestion and did a remove/reinstall of the firewall.  In the "learning" mode with OA protection active the only thing it asked about was Avast! update.  Nothing else would work.

The previous version 4.5 worked fine with this configuration btw.  I would rather fix this problem than revert to the previous version but I've tried everything that occurs to me, including pausing the OA providers one at a time.  The only way that I've found to get on to the web is to stop the OA protection.

TIA for any suggestions.

--Tulkas

clydeb11:
i was about to post the same problem. after i updated to home 4.6 my web pages and downloads began to stall.

windows xp
za firewall
avast home 4.6.603

errenay:
I had similar problem - some pages couldn't load (e.g. www.weather.com ), some loaded only partially and stopped (like www.avast.com)...

My specs:
WinXP Pro (SP 2), Avast 4.6 Home, ZoneAlarm Pro (newest version), Firefox 1.0, Thunderbird 1.0,  AthlonXP  2000+, 512 MB

I went through this forum and saw that many people had similar problems. I used "proxy workaround" fix for Firefox (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11338.15 ), gave Web scanner server rights and now it works better. I hope there will be some patch soon...  :)

Patty15:
I read the temp fix posted here by Avast Tech.  How did you set the proxy settings in Firefox?  I'm not sure how to do that.  Thanks.

DavidR:
Did you not see the image at the bottom of the page, in the link above your post?

Tools > Options > now the image should make settings easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version