Author Topic: Zip archive courupted?  (Read 2694 times)

Bestpittbull

Zip archive courupted?
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
I noticed my computer acting real funny,ha,ha, didn't like it. did a quick system"s scan found malware high level. removed it with avast, followed directions and boot scan, all my line's showed zip archive courupted. Is there anything I'll need to do next? is there any damage to my computer?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Zip archive courupted?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »
- Corrupted Archive file, this could simply mean that avast is unable to unpack it to scan the contents of the archive and assuming it is because it is corrupt.

Even if it were corrupt there is nothing that a user can do to resolve any corruption, short of replacing the file. This I wouldn't recommend (especially if this is for archives in the \System Volume Information folder, part of the system restore function) unless you are getting problems relating to that file outside of the avast scan.

Are you actually scanning archives in your scans (off by default) ?
Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's File System Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bestpittbull

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »
Thanks, it was a scan that was done after avast removed a real nasty virus. It did it automatically, boot scan, as it was running thru the scan I watched it show down each line zip archive courupted. so far so good, computer is running OK. Thanks, this is a really cool site, will be visiting more often. Bestpittbull

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »
You're welcome.

Yes, the boot-time scan is most thorough scanning all archives, were under a normal scan it only scans self extracting archives would be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dannOL

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
Why don't you repair your corrupt ZIP archive? You can do this by using either WinRAR application or any third-party ZIP recovery software. To repair corrupt ZIP archive by using WinRAR you need to follow these simple steps:
  • Open your WinRAR application.
  • Click on Open and select your corrupt ZIP archive.
  • Now go to Tools and select Repair archive or you may do this by simply pressing Alt + R.
  • A new window will pop up. Click on Browse and select a location to save the repaired archive.
  • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP" and click on OK. You may also check "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" if you want to repair RAR archive.
  • It will take some time to repair the corrupt ZIP archive. Once it gets repaired click on Close.
  • Now you can check the repaired ZIP archive.
Sometimes this may fail to repair the corrupt ZIP archive due to severe corruption. In such critical situation third-party ZIP recovery software can repair the corrupt ZIP archive very easily. I have used such recovery software a couple of times to repair my corrupt ZIP archive. I will recommend you to check free demo version of SysInfoTools ZIP recovery software. It will recover your maximum data from corrupt ZIP archive. Download the software.
Good luck.
Regards.

dannOL

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
You can know more about and download SysInfoTools ZIP Recovery's demo version from this page (I have bookmarked it): page.
Good luck.
Regards.