Author Topic: Clients not recognized by Admin Panel  (Read 5430 times)

akpaddock

Clients not recognized by Admin Panel
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
Alright, so I'm new to the Avast software and just downloaded the SBEP trial to get the bugs worked out before purchasing the licenses and first off, the deployment keeps failing. I'm deploying to Win7 64bit and no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the deployment to work even with the firewall shut off. But that's not my main issue as I've just set up the executable and am now running that on each client but my main issue so far is that the admin panel fails to recognize all installations aside from two. Anyone have any ideas what might be blocking it? I even set up the clients through their ip address instead of their dns name just to make sure it got through and although a bar popped up on the admin panel saying that a computer was trying to communicate with the admin panel (which I hit resolve on) it still isn't recognizing that computer... I'm just not sure what to try next. Thanks for any help you can offer!

studio_two

Re: Clients not recognized by Admin Panel
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
Are you using the SOA (Small Office Administration) Console or the EA (Enterprise Administration) Console?

If you go to one of the client machines and open up avast, click on Settings => Troubleshooting => avast! Administration Console, what do the Server Name  / Ip / Port boxes contain?

akpaddock

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »
I'm using the SOA Console and the server box has my workstation dns name (admin-pc.carpetshoppe.thecarpetshoppe.com) and the port # is  25322.  Thanks!

studio_two

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
And if you hit the "Update" button within the client, does it update from the server?

akpaddock

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
yes, it updates automatically but below it says "streaming updates: Enabled" and "Connection: not connected".

akpaddock

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Anybody else have some suggestions? Avast is currently installed on 29 clients but is only showing 8 connected on the admin panel.

wpn

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »
to clarify:

1 server
29 clients

8 clients show up GREEN in the SBEP console
21 clients show up GREY

When you click on UPDATE in the maintenance panel on a client that IS NOT showing in the console, the server that is contacted and downloaded from is the SBEP server that you installed on your network?

Show us some log files:  C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log  (windows 7)
You can also generate a support package from the MAINTENANCE part of the interface  MAINTENANCE > SUPPORT > GENERATE 
make sure you uncheck minidumps
NOTE:  the logfiles contain internal DNS names from clients and the avast server. If you dont feel comfortable sharing that replace the names with logical names and post it here

IF the clients update from your internal server, then something must be wrong with the ports that the clients use to communicate with the server.

Have there been previous Avast installations on those stations? or any other AV vendor?
if so, try cleaning/removing that with a special cleaning tool (avast uninstall utility, but other vendors have their own uninstall tool) and reinstall again

akpaddock

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
To clarify:

I have the server set up on my workstation and then I have 29 other clients. Only two at a time (and it's always just two) are showing up with a green check mark and then I have 8 with a plug on the screen and I have 20 with a ? on the screen.

I found in the Admin section a "computer login audit trail" and it says that they've all been rejected as of this morning and the reason is "licence not found" (guessing this isnt a typo on their part, is that an English spelling?)

When I update from a client workstation that says it's not recognized on the SBEP console, it updates but does not say that it's updating from a particular server.

There was a previous installation of Avast on the workstations but that has been uninstalled correctly and all trace files removed as well.

What log file in particular would you like to look at? aswAr1.log? AvastNet.log? Let me know, thanks!

wpn

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »
Since your running in trial, its a demo license that your using i assume.

Im not sure if it is possible but maybe there is a limitation on the demo licenses? Any of the other Evangelists know this maybe?

btw: are the firewalls on both the server as the clients been disabled?  check this thread for ports: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116206.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:35:00 AM by wpn »