Author Topic: Avast truncates email attachments  (Read 1842 times)

baugmo

Avast truncates email attachments
« on: February 21, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
Using IMAP with Thunderbird (not GMail) all my incoming messages are truncated at about 64k. If I turn off Avast Mail Shield for incoming mail, it works fine. Turn Mail Shield back on and my messages are truncated again. It is not a setting in Thunderbird (there is one for that). It is definitely Avast Mail Shield. Ports and security/encryption are set up correctly. It does not happen using POP3 with the same email account, just IMAP. Not giving up IMAP or Thunderbird.

Edit: Found the possible solution elsewhere. In the Thunderbird config editor, try setting mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks to false. Initial results look good. Nothing against chunking, it just doesn't seem to work with Avast's mail shield. The chunking thing is completely independent from the setting mentioned in the first paragraph above. You'll have to use the config editor for this one.

Edit again: I don't want future forum searchers to find misleading info here, so I should point out that Avast version 8 handles email connections differently. IMAP is better with chunks, and fortunately now Avast doesn't seem to mind.  Also you no longer have to disable connection security as mentioned below.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:18:30 PM by baugmo »

baugmo

Re: Avast truncates email attachments
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
Wow. Nobody? I was hoping someone would say "yer doin it wrong" and all I have to do is this and that.

I tried it with GMail and it does the same thing. Thought maybe it had something to do with the specific IMAP server but apparently not.

So am I the only one? If so, I suspect that many Avast users are not using the mail shield because they either use webmail or in their mail clients they didn't change their connection security settings to be compatible with Avast. In fact, my temporary workaround is to enable connection security in Thunderbird just for incoming IMAP connections. That way Avast ignores those and still scans SMTP and POP3 connections. I'm saying that probably happens a lot by accident.

If you understand the above paragraph and Avast is scanning your incoming IMAP connections and not truncating your attachments please LMK. Avast support has not answered.

Edit: I'm using 7.0.1474 on Win7. I don't care if it works on old versions of Avast or Windows. I mean, I care, I'm happy for you if it works, but it just wouldn't be pertinent to this thread.

Edit by backseat over the shoulder editor: truncate means chop off. Sort of. I know you knew that.

BTW, I tried out several well-known competing products yesterday. I had to play with the eicar test file because they don't all modify mail headers when they scan a file. First, most of them are *crap* compared to Avast. I mean it's not even close. I'm talking big names here. Don't believe what you read in computer magazines. They can't be that dumb. They have to be lying. Second, some of the other products solve my problem by quietly not scanning my incoming IMAP connections at all. Great job. One of them however, did scan them, did not truncate my attachments, and did not require me to change the connection security settings in Thunderbird. I don't see how but it seemed to work. Just sayin'. Not sayin' who, not here. I like Avast, but it looks like I'll be switching soon.

Edit: I didn't mean to say that one was better overall. So far I'm undecided about that. I'm just saying it succeeds at that one thing that Avast is screwing up. If I thought something else was better overall I would be using it and not posting here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:57:25 AM by baugmo »