Author Topic: No longer offered option to move to chest  (Read 2590 times)

razormac

No longer offered option to move to chest
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:55:56 PM »
Does the new version of Avast (with web shield) now preclude the user from choosing options such as "remove to chest", "delete", "repair" etc when a virus is detected.

Now when I receive a virus warning the only action available to me is "disconnect" which doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas ?

Using Win XP Pro, SP2, Avast vers 4.6 home edition

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: No longer offered option to move to chest
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 12:44:34 AM »
That is because the file that was being downloaded was intercepted by web shield and a virus identified. At this point the virus is not saved on your HDD so terminating the download really is the only option.

You could of course, just close the warning window and allow the infected file to be downloaded (not really a good idea) and then standard shield is likely to get uppity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

razormac

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 09:56:31 AM »
David - Thanks for your reply

Just to clarify - with Web shield active and when a virus warning message appears, the disconnect option is disconnecting what exactly ?

The reason for asking is that when I used the previous version and came across a virus warning, normally I would choose to "send to chest" and delete later. However there were increasing instances where choosing any option i.e. delete, repair, move to chest, rename etc would not work and an error message along the lines of "cannot delete the application is being used by another process"

However the error message would provide the location of the virus - usually within /temporary internet files/content.ie5/....... which would allow me to delete the offending file using command prompt outside of explorer.

So if these particular viral attacks circumvented the previous version of Avast is it not possible that they can also get around the new one ?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 10:23:55 AM »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »
So if these particular viral attacks circumvented the previous version of Avast is it not possible that they can also get around the new one ?

They weren't circumventing the previous version, web shield is a new provider. The purpose is to try and detect virus infection at a higher level (during download), rather than when they are on your hdd (often making it more difficult to remove).

Even if they were to circumvent it as you say, there is still the Standard Shield provider, providing protection in depth.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security