Author Topic: Backup (Shadow Copy)  (Read 6437 times)

Walker

Backup (Shadow Copy)
« on: September 14, 2003, 03:41:53 AM »
Hi Guys,

Can you tell me how to perform a backup with Avast installed.

I have noticed that since installing Avast, Windows (XP) backup will not perform a 'Shadow Copy' backup. It reverts to a 'Normal' backup reporting that many files are in use.

I have tried turning off the obvious Avast files using MSconfig, but backup still reports files in use.

Any suggestions please, I prefer a 'Shadow Copy' backup if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Backup (Shadow Copy)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 12:59:47 PM »
Have you tried version 4.1.260? The on-access scanner driver was modified in such a way that the Shadow Copies could actually start to work.

Anyway, does it tell you what files are in use? That would be quite helpful.

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 01:35:22 PM »
Hi Vlk,

Yes I'm using the 'new' version (Pro Edition)

Done a quick backup test, here is an idea of what files were reported in use....

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 14/09/2003 at 13:18"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.
Backup of "C: Hard drive"
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 14/09/2003 at 13:18"
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 14/09/2003 at 13:18"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 14/09/2003 at 13:18.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet

Files\Content.IE5\index.dat" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\aswResp.dat" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.ldb" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\Avast4.mdb" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\log\aswMaiSv.log" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Antiviru.evt" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\JET446B.tmp" - skipped.

Warning: Unable to open "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\JET4611.tmp" - skipped.

Reason: The process cannot access the file(s) because it is being used by another process.
Backup completed on 14/09/2003 at 13:23.
Directories: 950
Files: 10511
Bytes: 1,170,633,377
Time:  4 minutes and  55 seconds

----------------------

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 01:41:59 PM »
Well, if I wanted to be inpolite I'd say "So what?". :)

Except for the couple of files in the avast directory, avast has absolutely nothing to do with this -- the files are locked because they're used by other programs. The index.dat's, for example, are used by IE. The *.evt files are used by the Event Viewer applet which you're appearently having run. Etc. etc.

The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with the report you've sent - the same behavior would be exhibited on any other XP machine (with or without avast installed).

Vlk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 04:10:10 PM »
Any solution Vlk?  8)
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 05:04:43 PM »
Well, if I wanted to be inpolite I'd say "So what?". :)

Except for the couple of files in the avast directory, avast has absolutely nothing to do with this

Hi Vlk,

If I wanted to be impolite (very big  ;D ), I'd say 5 out of 14 files looking like they have something to do with Avast isn't to be sniffed at  :P

Just wondering if Avast could also be 'scanning' those other files for some reason.?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 05:31:16 PM »
If I wanted to be impolite (very big   ), I'd say 5 out of 14 files looking like they have something to do with Avast isn't to be sniffed at

Hey, stop being so harsh on me! ;D

Just wondering if Avast could also be 'scanning' those other files for some reason.?

No, really. This file-locking thing is in fact a Windows speciality. Under Windows (unlike under Unix/Linux, for example), it's quite normal that a number of files is open with exclusive access so that no other program in the system can open them. For example, both MS Exchange and MS SQL servers have their data files (databases) open with exclusive access.

This, of course, is causing headaches to backup programs as these usually need to back up all files (with the exception of stuff like the one you were complaining about - that really does not make any difference :)). For this reason, there is a special class of programs called Open File Managers (OFM) that take care of the uneasy task of enabling the backup application to access all files. Most commercial-grade backup programs already have a built-in OFM.

A classic in this field of program is Saint Bernard's OFM, http://www.stbernard.com/products/ofm/products_ofm.asp (now already in version 9). Most built-in OFM are actually rebundled St Bernard's.

Hope this helps,
Vlk

Walker

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2003, 06:08:13 PM »

:) :) I wasn't being harsh  :-X

I'm sure your absolutely correct Vlk (clever clogs  :) )

It seems that there is a real c*ck up with the reason for shadow copies if windows is gonna deny access to active files... I thought that was the whole point of shadow copies... I live and learn  ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 06:10:08 PM by Walker »