Author Topic: ashdisp.exe can I disable it?  (Read 2930 times)

imwmt

ashdisp.exe can I disable it?
« on: February 28, 2005, 04:19:22 PM »
Hi all,

I guess that about sums it up.  I opened up msconfig and disabled it as to my knowledge it's only associated with the tray icon and not the background processes.  I wanted to make sure so I figured I'd ask the folks who know more than I do...  Is this ok?  I don't use my system tray as I have a program to handle my tasks and menus and this would free up some nice resources...

Thanks,

Mike

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ashdisp.exe can I disable it?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »
ashDisp.exe doesn't use much in the way of resources abd is your interface with the on-access providers. Using this interface you can monitor providers an ensure that things are as they should be, e.g. files are getting scaned when they should.

What OS are you using?
Are you really that short on resources?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »
Is this ok?

Mike, I think it's better just disabling the icon with avast4.ini file settings.
See 'Settings' on my signature and 'hide' the icon.
Anyway, like David said it should not give you that trouble on resources...
The best things in life are free.

imwmt

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:36:57 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I'm a little leery of playing with the ini settings as it looks a bit complicated, at least the ones I've seen.  As far as the resources, it doesn't eat up too much, but I will never ever see the task tray so it's wasted resources and to me every little bit helps in the end.  But so long as it's safe to disable, I'll do so, I was just concerned that it would interfere with the virus guard protecting my system in real time.  Since it won't, I can breath easy.

Thanks again!

Mike

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 08:58:04 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I'm a little leery of playing with the ini settings as it looks a bit complicated

Mike, it's just change (or add the line below) into the [AAVM] section:

ShowTaskbarIcon=0  :)
The best things in life are free.