Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233776 times)

drhayden1

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
i like the new interface......have to change every so often......as long as it's avast-it's the best......been using it for a long time and nothing else will be on my computers :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »
I wish the Free GUI had a dimmer switch.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

chiliconcarnage

« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
EDIT:  @ Mr. Agent

Yes I know what you meant, in that the UI doesn't have anything to the protection that Avast provides, feel free to read my last post.

So if you understand it is a personal preference thing, then why post that you don't know why people don't like the new UI?  Maybe you just skimmed through the posts and didn't read the reasons people posted, or maybe you wanted to sound condescending ( I don't believe it was this reason), or maybe it was an innocent post. Either way you know the reason why people don't like the UI.

As for the change to version 7, your comparison not completely accurate, but I get what your saying.  Going back to version 7, for me, is simple.  I have read the changes in v8.   There isn't anything that really affects/helps me.  Yeah ther are some good features in it and Avast is improving.  Although I have never had any problems with Avast, the new editions/ features aren't anything I need, as I have other software I use and prefer over any others that do the same thing if not better.  As for performance and stability, I have never had any issues with that.  Only AV that has performed better for me (speed wise) was, believe it or not, Norton IS 2010.  I stayed with Avast as it caught more malware than Norton.

Now seeing as I didn't need the update, and the only real problem I have is with the UI, well I reverted back to v7.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2013, 10:10:14 PM »
Up to you but take the risks and accept it. ;)

My way for "i dont know why people dont like the UI" was for why people care more for the interface than the protection its offer the new version when they can put them to risks.

Mr.Agent

Kilia

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »
Heh, Kilia! It's the most important part of an AV, no?

So who cares about the GUI. Just keep my machine clean :)
Agree once again, malta.  ;)

andygee33

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »
Doesn't work too well on my pc yet. I've got an old AMD processor and 256mb ddr so I've used avast for balance of stability and safety. I really hope the new avast becomes lighter or I will have to revert to V7.

mikef1234

« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2013, 01:26:08 AM »
After figuring out why it wouldn't download ( something on my computer was blocking it! Saved it instead that's how I found the popup that was giving a security warning and blocking it ! ) Over all I think it is a great improvement, the new layout is more user friendly especially for Novice users. The only thing that isn't working right is the program updater for Mozzila etc. At first it worked pretty good except it had problems with FireFox it just sat there and tried to update but no joy. Now it just sits there with a blank screen trying to update but I will pursue it. Probably something on my computer blocking it. Overall I love it!
Mike

Offline catinahat

« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2013, 06:21:44 AM »
So my nightly "quick scan" with version 8 just took 20mins instead of the usual 25-35 mins with avast 7!! I was running several applications at the same time too. Looking forward to seeing how quickly my weekly "full scan" will take (usually 2hrs with version 7).

It's definitely significantly lighter on resources while scanning too. :)

Been running version 8 for 2 days now and am very impressed. Absolutely no issues at all. Nice one avast!!

dgOnAv

« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2013, 06:48:56 AM »
The new interface is so incredibly ugly by any standard. It looks like it was put together by a 2 year old.

Avast always this great sophisticated look with its 3d-textured backgrounds, it conveyed professionalism: "we are so good that even our backgrounds looks fantastic!" This seems some really ill-advised decision, it makes me wonder what other poor decision were made elsewhere in the software... did the company fire the wrong guy or hire a new manager?

Avast signature interface was the last thing that needed an update!

wrj

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
I have the free AV version. What I liked about v7 was when I opened the UI, I could see what version of program, virus definitions, etc I had and where they up-to-date.

With v8, I'm not sure how to tell what version of anything I have. I know its v8 but where do you find the exact version numbers?

drummerman

« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
So my nightly "quick scan" with version 8 just took 20mins instead of the usual 25-35 mins with avast 7!! I was running several applications at the same time too. Looking forward to seeing how quickly my weekly "full scan" will take (usually 2hrs with version 7).

It's definitely significantly lighter on resources while scanning too. :)

Been running version 8 for 2 days now and am very impressed. Absolutely no issues at all. Nice one avast!!

Wow, I quick scan every 2 or 3 weeks and only once bothered with a full one ...  :-[

regards

OliPicard

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
Feedback:Google Analyatics runs thoughtout V8 meaning every tab you clicked on is linked/monitored. Not sure if this is a mistake or if im the only one getting this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:49:44 PM by OliPicard »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2013, 06:50:27 PM »
The only problem i have is this, Google Analyatics runs thoughtout V8 meaning every tab you clicked on is linked/monitored. Not sure if this is a mistake or if im the only one getting this.
Google Analyatics is on most webpages, avast is just scanning it.

OliPicard

« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
Thought it might be webpage related, Noticed it triggers when you go to the marketplace and then click a different referal tab. I guess thats Google seeing where we are being refered to!

rodehall

« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
Running fine on my Win 7 Ultimate laptop but having major problems with it on my Win 8 Pro desktop. Restarting the PC is problematic. It will more often than not freeze to a black screen shutting down and often freeze to a black screen starting up. Rebooting will generally get things going. I have read in other forums that a CRTL ALT DEL can be enough to recover in these dark screen situations although I didn't try that. I am sticking with V7 until this is sorted out. The problem seem quite widespread from what I can tell elsewhere on the web although here it seems almost conspicuous by its absence. Although I may not have looked hard enough! The V8 does seem a very creditable move forward on what has for me been the best AV app I have used over the years. Very powerful and cutting edge. I feel I must add my word of distain to the metro style kindergarten home screen, although I accept that having the interface open on the security tab is an acceptable solution. Please sort the Win 8 issue a.s.a.p. Thanks