Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233839 times)

simpleton

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:05 AM »
What a bloody performance to get it to work on XP SP3

After upgrading via the pop-up, the internet became inaccessible. No conections at all.

Uninstalled then tried downloading again to no avail

Had to uninstal it, reboot twice to (hopefully) clear out any remnants, run CCleaner to clear registry entries then download and save to comp then run it from there.

Seems to be running ok now, albeit that my comp is running more slowly than before.

GUI is a bit confusing to this cranky old sod.

Offline tosna

• Since 2006 AVAST free user -Japan-
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
I loved the avast 7 UI, so it is hard to use any of the selections in the poll, it wouldn't be 'About the same as V7' or above and the selections below that are too negative.

The free UI really does need more contrast, but would I go back to avast 7 over aesthetics no, but avast 8 free hurts my eyes.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »
I agree with David, the GUI needs more contrast. It is really hard on the eyes. Especially for us old geezers.
I do like the layout of the "Summary" screen. This is much better than the pie chart of v7.0 
Also a huge thank you for removing the email from the GUI.

I also agree with DavidR (Reply #5) and Para-Noid (Reply #10) regarding avast8 free GUI.
The avast8 hurts my eyes, too. The avast7 free gives visually much more impact due to its color cordination, I think, and it is visually easy to find out where to click. Comparing these two screenshots it is so clear. In case of working and/or net-surfing, the avast8 screen is not expressive screen with backgrounds in white or light colors, so I think it is recomendable to make it with more contrast and not so blank/light colored.

I didn't update yet my avast free7 to 8, but anyway I will update later because I believe the new avast8 free should be better as usual.
Win7 Home SP1 32bit/ Avast Free 20.10.2442⇒21.5.2470/ Comodo Firewall 12/ / (Windows Defender)

HawaiianHope

« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
I just figured i woudl copy this respons below as it is the exact same way i feel.  Why is it necessary to screw up a perfectly good product every few versions ???  i absolutly...absolutly ....absolutly  will never be installing winblows 8 on my computer and am now considering switching over to linux.  WHY woudl i want an antivirus program that looks just as bad ??? 
OH, and i see that you are still pimping google toolbar and google chrome.  even though i said NOOOOOO not to install it, after teh upgrade it asked me if i wnat to install it agian.  AT WHAT POINT DOES NO ACTUALLY MEAN "NO" ???? how many times do i have to say NO before you stop trying to violate me ?

I voted it's rubbish... (referring to the GUI).  I have no idea why everyone is doing the "windows 8" look-a-like contest.  Big childish blocks that look like it belongs in a baby's play pen.

I love Avast and have been using it for over 5 years, the guts and glory have always been robust but this 2013 windows 8 look makes me want to barf!

fardeen

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
just give the free users the black skin and i will be fine...

Offline div_dib

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
grt job!!!!!!!

disappearer

« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
How do I like the new V8 of Avast? Good, but 7 was better. I answered "I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?" in the poll.
Me, I'm going back to 7.0.1474. (Download link for v7 can be found at FileHippo, by the way. Make sure to select the mirror server after choosing version 7, as the regular download kept giving me the download link for v8).

Avast 7 is the best free anti virus software ever. I had tried Avast in a previous version but liked MSE better initially, but later I tried version 7 and installed it on many computers since, I use it every day on my desktop PC.

Now we have version 8, which I downloaded before getting rid of MSE on my Laptop.
But, why do you only praise the new features, without mentioning what features have been taken out from the free version?

-Auto software update is nice, very convenient
-UI is ok, though personally, I liked the v7 UI much better

HOWEVER,

-what happened to free sandbox?
-registration process much more of a hassle now, requires more steps
-installation is confusing. download free version, then they offer you the premium version as a free 30 day trial. I declined, it still downloads the paid version and installs it, I have to deactivate the feature again and then it will delete the trial and I'm a free user again, but it still says I'm not registered, even though I already registered the program. Re-register with the same credentials and password and I'm finally good to go (for one year)
-installation file size has grown roughly 10mb, probably due to the inclusion of google paid advertising google drive option during installation, which is annoying because, naturally, the option is checked and you need to uncheck it first. just another thing my mom won't understand when I have to explain it to her on the phone while she installs it...

Avast 7 was more convenient, better looking, less confusing to install and wasn't as focused on reminding the user to buy the premium version (which most free users never will). It also didn't include 3rd party advertising (Google). V7 did include an ad for the Android version of Avast, which I think is a good idea and I might give it a try in the future. Google Drive is useless for me, as I use dropbox, and I don't see how it has anything to do with an AV program.

So, I'll probably resort to installing Avast 7 on every new computer. What features, except for auto software updates, will I be missing? Will the antivirus detection and removal modules be the same?

When will support for v7 be ceased, meaning, when will the user be forced to use the newest version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
The AutoSandbox is still there, it has always been linked to the File System Shield, now it is integrated into the FSS Settings > AutoSandbox. Previously it had its own little spot but if you clicked Settings you ended up in the FSS Settings.

For me the steps are the same, Maintenance > Registration ?

For me the installation size is pretty much the same, but it is variable and it fluctuates so I don't know how you can tell it has grown by that specific amount. By the way the virus database is growing daily, it is the nature of the beast. If you download the full virus database it is in the order of 74.8MB and that is compressed, when unpacked it is in the order of 109MB.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Fulvio314

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
 >:(
avast 8 give me blue screen. I rolled back to avast 5 since I did not find 7 and I don't have time to waste.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
I rolled back to avast 5 since I did not find 7 and I don't have time to waste.

V7: http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=8431
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Fulvio314

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
Thank you.
May I suggest to host at least "current_version-1" on your official site? I'm not completely confident downloading security software elsewere, you know...
 :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Jindui

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
On Facebook I saw where avast! had rolled out a new version.  Great I thought as I had major problems with the last one.  I updated and upon restart immediately got a Blue Screen of Death referring to a Page_Fault_in_Non-Page_Area (or something like that).  Tried restarting a couple more times, which has worked for me for other problems, but with no joy.  I rebooted in Safe Mode and deleted version .1482 ..  I then re-installed version .1473 which I had found and downloaded after the last FUBAR and made sure 'automatic program update' was disabled.
Upon restart in normal mode, no problems at all.

allenergy

« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
I will never upgrade to a new version when it is released for all the reasons listed in this thread!   I let others (who are willing) install the upgrade and see how it runs and what issues they experience with the release.  Avast! always debugs new releases and I know that in a month or two (or 3!) the upgrade will be smoother, better operating and have incorporated the fixes and adjustments recommended and requested by the users.

IF YOU, like me, depend on your computer(s) for your livelihood -- WAIT to upgrade!   There is no fire!  No one will come to take you away if you remain on the previous version!  ;D

I am on avast! Internet Security Suite version 7.0.1426 on my laptop  and version 7.0.1474 on my desktop.   Both are Windows XP, SP3 custom loaded OS's (thanks to my brother)   I am very happy with Version 7.  And will stay here until I am fully confident all bugs and hiccups are resolved with Version 8.   I may even stay here until Version 9 is released!  8)

Adding:  THIS is what the new interface looks like?  DavidR posted a png screenshot back on page 5 - which I can't copy/paste or get the full link for to include.  It looks ugly and not as intuitive to navigate as Version 7.  Hmmmm.  I realize that this is a pic of the free version, but can't believe the Internet Security Suite would have a much different interface.

Why go this route?  It looks like "App-look addiction" has taken hold.   :o
* b5954.png  (this is from the screenshot  link DavidR posted)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:54:55 PM by allenergy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2013, 12:24:41 AM »
What will have changed by the time avast 9 comes out on the same logic you would still be waiting.

The major difference in this version is that it also coincides with a major new operating system windows 8 and that isn't without issue either.

I had an absolute nightmare with the closed and public beta's on XP Pro (relating to MBAM Pro and WinPatrol Plus), but gathered the information, which resolved the MBAM Pro issue by avast8 beta3. The problem with WinPatrol Plus has a workaround awaiting a fix by WinPatrol.

After that avast 8 has been no problem whatsoever on my XP Pro or win7 netbook.

####
The image b5954 posted back then is an internal screen posted in response to a specific question, taken in isolation it would look like the interface is difficult to navigate, it isn't, it's just different. There have been many complaints about the free version GUI, including from me that it is totally lacking in contrast and needs changing. The Paid versions are totally different.

New avast! 8 layout - Once you get past the Win8 Metro style tiled Home page of the UI, the avast innards are pretty much the same. Obviously there will be more content in the Pro/AIS versions

Spend a little time browsing the User Interface it isn't that complex, with two main areas:
1. 'Security' with three sections. The Summary section is a summary of all of your shields. The Antivirus section  dealing with all of the Scans and the Shields. The Tools section any additional Tools you have installed.

2 'Maintenance' which is much the same as it was before, Updates, Registration, Virus Chest, Remote Assistance, About avast! but now includes the Scan Logs.

Support and the Settings sections remains very much as it was, with some minor changes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

allenergy

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2013, 12:36:55 AM »
What will have changed by the time avast 9 comes out on the same logic you would still be waiting.

The major difference in this version is that it also coincides with a major new operating system windows 8 and that isn't without issue either.

I had an absolute nightmare with the closed and public beta's on XP Pro (relating to MBAM Pro and WinPatrol Plus), but gathered the information, which resolved the MBAM Pro issue by avast8 beta3. The problem with WinPatrol Plus has a workaround awaiting a fix by WinPatrol.

After that avast 8 has been no problem whatsoever on my XP Pro or win7 netbook.

####
The image b5954 posted back then is an internal screen posted in response to a specific question, taken in isolation it would look like the interface is difficult to navigate, it isn't, it's just different. There have been many complaints about the free version GUI, including from me that it is totally lacking in contrast and needs changing. The Paid versions are totally different.

New avast! 8 layout - Once you get past the Win8 Metro style tiled Home page of the UI, the avast innards are pretty much the same. Obviously there will be more content in the Pro/AIS versions

Spend a little time browsing the User Interface it isn't that complex, with two main areas:
1. 'Security' with three sections. The Summary section is a summary of all of your shields. The Antivirus section  dealing with all of the Scans and the Shields. The Tools section any additional Tools you have installed.

2 'Maintenance' which is much the same as it was before, Updates, Registration, Virus Chest, Remote Assistance, About avast! but now includes the Scan Logs.

Support and the Settings sections remains very much as it was, with some minor changes.

Thank you very much for this detailed reply DavidR!  I will still wait a little bit.  Maybe a month or so, in case fixes are released for any found bugs.  My entire livelihood is via my computers so I don't have 'tolerance' for crashes or issues.  Not unless I want to lose connection with my clients and websites,which I sincerely don't! 

That home screen is hilarious!  Big green smiley face.. Silly looking to me.   ;D