Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233756 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
What was the virus it detected ?

Hitch

« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
I love the new Avast, but I'd prefer to see a darker GUI. Thanks for the hardwork!

giantweenerdog

« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
I hate 8, its ugly and I cannot find my beloved Lancashire or Aussie accents, just the frigging pirate, where are my voice options, I cannot find them, and I am about to delete Avast and go with something else. UGLY UGLY UGLY

brokenpcs

« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
OK I haven't actually installed V8 and this is my reasons:

1. The Home page is just like window v8. Although many people like such simple graphic layout it is non Accessible for those of us that have a disability. Blind/Legally Blind; Learning Disabilities and even those having seizures of some sort. Being it's non accessible we are not able to use such programme. Yes some individuals a colour could cause such seizures. It's just like going into a store that uses flashing blue light. Big issues.

And yes I read where after getting passed the home page it's not laid out that way. However that's the issue if one cannot see graphic layout. Not sure if there is a way to bypass such as I will not download this version.

Suggestion would be to have many things set for text format as well as graphic so programme covers both worlds. As you are missing so many individuals over 5,000 people if not more, that would have to look elsewhere and most likely get a lesser / inferior programme for security.

2. Many programmes are becoming bloatware having all additional things put into their programme. Yes companies are competing with each other and that's usually why such is added. However there are many individuals that likes to have certain programmes that they have used for years or do things more on a manual skill without having something else remind them or just update. Not to mention that they don't have big harddrive space, ram etc. that would take care of such bloatware.

Now from what I have read it does appear that one could change such settings but I never like programmes to become bloated with added stuff in which I have to go into and turn them off.

3. This of course started back in the early version of 7. However it wasn't too majour being that the settings stayed the same way. Nevertheless this is another suggestion when going into settings and trying to navigate on the left panel. Why not put in a scroll button like the ones that's in the right panels.  I don't know about codes but I figure if it's in there for the right side one should be able to work out the codes so it could be in on the left side. Reason for this is there are many of us that has to have our computer settings adjusted for our needs which makes things huge on our screen. Because of this part of the setting windows are cut off. Without this scroll button one cannot see the rest nor can one click either the OK button or the Cancel button.

These are just some meaningful suggestions to work with people with disabilities as well. Not to make programmes so Non Accessible that we got to look for the lessor qualified programmes.

Oh and I have had avast since version 4. Although it wasn't the greatest looking but at least it was accessible even version 7 was alright although the protection status window was more graphic and readers do not read such things. And some of the setting windows were off the monitor's window.

Just some feedback and thanks for listening. Hope this feedback helps.

cipzah

« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
As a computer professional I always recomended AVAST to everybody as something light and safe.
Today I don't know. I mean come on it is an antivirus not an OS. An antivirus does not need and it
should not update my software. It should not even check if is updated. That is a privacy issue.
And antivirus should not try to correct what I'm typing in the browser because is not a spelling
software but an antivirus. Yes I understand that maybe If you keep the software updated you don't
take viruses and if you don't go to the wrong page you don't take viruses  but don't do that and if
you do make sure I can see that and it can be easily disabled by anybody

RMMACFRU

« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
My biggest problem with it so far was it's uncalled for need to try foisting Chrome off on me.  Dang thing's wretched, and doesn't allow for ad blocking, especially not Google's ads, which are the largest purveyor of infected ads online.

So...what's up with that? Folks already have browsers.  It's kinda rude to try sneaking one, unasked for, into someone's system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
As a computer professional I always recomended AVAST to everybody as something light and safe.
Today I don't know. I mean come on it is an antivirus not an OS. An antivirus does not need and it
should not update my software. It should not even check if is updated. That is a privacy issue.
And antivirus should not try to correct what I'm typing in the browser because is not a spelling
software but an antivirus. Yes I understand that maybe If you keep the software updated you don't
take viruses and if you don't go to the wrong page you don't take viruses  but don't do that and if

As a computer professional, I would have thought checking what is actually checked would have been a good starting point.

It isn't checking every program on your system, but generally the internet facing ones and those more targeted for exploit. This after all is one of the major areas of infection exploitation of out of date applications

The problem is that most people don't keep their software up to date, those of us that do and are a little more tech savvy would have little/less use for this module and can easily uninstall it (or not installed by doing a custom install in the first place). But for your average user this is just the people this is targeted at, with 170+ million users default actions have to take them into account.

You have completely lost me on the second part of your post, with the AV checking your spelling.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
My biggest problem with it so far was it's uncalled for need to try foisting Chrome off on me.  Dang thing's wretched, and doesn't allow for ad blocking, especially not Google's ads, which are the largest purveyor of infected ads online.

So...what's up with that? Folks already have browsers.  It's kinda rude to try sneaking one, unasked for, into someone's system.

Depends on what you mean by foisted or sneaked past you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lord ami

« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »
I just checked my.avast.com as I've installed avast! on 10+ PCs.

I was amazed. Some new malware got into their PC and I can see many were detected as Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]
If it wasn't for Evo-Gen, I'd be cleaning their PCs now :D

RMMACFRU

« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2013, 12:13:54 AM »

Depends on what you mean by foisted or sneaked past you.

That would have been nice...had I actually gotten that screen at some point during the upgrade, but I didn't.  That's why I was annoyed.

cipzah

« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:26 AM »

As a computer professional, I would have thought checking what is actually checked would have been a good starting point.

It isn't checking every program on your system, but generally the internet facing ones and those more targeted for exploit. This after all is one of the major areas of infection exploitation of out of date applications

The problem is that most people don't keep their software up to date, those of us that do and are a little more tech savvy would have little/less use for this module and can easily uninstall it (or not installed by doing a custom install in the first place). But for your average user this is just the people this is targeted at, with 170+ million users default actions have to take them into account.

You have completely lost me on the second part of your post, with the AV checking your spelling.

Well let me explain to you.

First of all I'm not supposed to check every option with every update an antivirus is doing
Second I disabled them and after  a secondary update I found them enabled again.

My father is blind but being an ex-programmer is using the computer quite extensively.  He know the software is using by heart
If someone is moving a shortcut on his desktop that is a problem. Now if it doesn't know about this option in Avast and knowing
that Avast is an antivirus imagine his surprise if even his pdf reader is updated without his knowledge.

As for the second one Avast want to correct what I'm typing in my browser :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o No way

If you love them so much this option should be disabled by default not enabled. Imagine Avast is updating any software in that list
and because is a problem with that update Windows is crashing. What if one of this updates is interacting with other things I'm doing
on this computer.  Again be a an antivirus the best if is posibile but don't mess with peoples computers. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »
You mean avast wanted to correct URLs that you were typing, that has been an option from before avast 8, in the avastUI, Settings, Site Correct, Enable SiteCorrect is a default option, but one you can change. The Automatically redirect to correct sites (anti-typo squatting) is disabled by default.

cipzah

« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2013, 01:27:35 AM »
Everything that is interacting with the way the computer is working by default it should be disabled by default and should be a clear explanation what is doing if I'm enabling.
 I'm not trying to be a pain in.... I'm a computer programmer myself but I know If one of my programsy is changing the way the customer computer is regulary worsking is bad for business.

v64uk

« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2013, 02:29:28 AM »
Where is the option for "I'm sure it is great but it would be even better if it worked with Vista 64" ?

NMJune

« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »
I have the paid version of Avast and resented that without my permission or even a choice of options  the update installed Google Chrome and a bunch of other things I don't want. There is no apparent easy way to deselect this stuff. My techie husband will spend time tomorrow getting rid of Chrome and other things I don't want.

I may not renew Avast in the future. Too bad because until all this unwanted stuff came into the picture I was  very satisfied.