Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233757 times)

tony.thill

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #435 on: May 26, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »
Updated this morning and rebooted to find my Apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard have failed. Both tested fine on other equipment. Cannot get my iMac (running Win 7 32bit via bootcamp) to see any bluetooth device even though properties suggest all is well. Ended up restoring my system to the last Win update (about a week ago) which put Avast 8.0.1483 back in place and my bluetooth devices are fine again. I am reluctant now to upgrade and my tray icon now tells me I'm not fully protected

timbirr

« Reply #436 on: May 27, 2013, 01:43:19 AM »
Just a caution.

When I got my unexpected and unwanted "present" of the Chrome browser from AVAST during the V8 update, I did not realize that Chrome was then set as default for all the hyperlinks in my Word documents.

So, when I immediately deleted CHROME, I later found none of my links in my documents worked.  Took me a good 10-15 minutes to figure out the issue.  Yep, I was really happy about that... >:(

true indian

« Reply #437 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »
Hi
I like the new version so much, that I have removed it and installed Microsoft Essentials instead. Bye Bye !Avast.

Avast scored very well in latest av test whereas MSE was no where near it,care to explain your problem and try to get it solved here on the forum before bragging about the new version ::)
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/

leshay

« Reply #438 on: May 27, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »
Hi
I like the new version so much, that I have removed it and installed Microsoft Essentials instead. Bye Bye !Avast.

Avast scored very well in latest av test whereas MSE was no where near it,care to explain your problem and try to get it solved here on the forum before bragging about the new version ::)
http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/

I also have downloaded Avira, Avg, Immunet and will also try out Zone Alarm.
!Avast is a no go for me now. I hate the stupid orange text on white background and I hate the pop adverts as well as pushing Chrome.

Hiballer

« Reply #439 on: May 27, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »
I don't like it very much any more.  Bundling Chrome with the update was a VERY bad move especially since there was no option to NOT install it.  After the upgrade finally installed (took a long time) I was dismayed to find that Chrome was now my browser of choice and the home page.  Getting back to Firefox took a while.  Then I noticed that all my links were messed up and it took yet another half hour to restore them properly.

Not a good move, Avast.

Bill

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #440 on: May 27, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
I don't like it very much any more.  Bundling Chrome with the update was a VERY bad move especially since there was no option to NOT install it.  After the upgrade finally installed (took a long time) I was dismayed to find that Chrome was now my browser of choice and the home page.  Getting back to Firefox took a while.  Then I noticed that all my links were messed up and it took yet another half hour to restore them properly.

Not a good move, Avast.

Bill
Why did it take so long to rest Firefox ???
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1154-reset-firefox
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Hiballer

« Reply #441 on: May 27, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
I reread my post and can see why you asked the question about Firefox.  What I meant to say was that when I started browsing and Chrome came up, it took me just a short while to get back Firefox but longer to reset the links on some home-grown external programs and pages to use FF instead of Chrome.  Once I removed chrome, the links came up as broken and had to be reset to use my current browser.

I have used the reset function of FF a couple of times to clear out faulty/malfunctioning add-ons and plugins.

Bill

kd5

« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
Just had another customer call complaining about his XP computer being so slow.  Brought it to me, right away I noticed Avast had not only upgraded to 8, but had also installed Google Chrome and Toolbar.  Uninstalled all that crap, reinstalled Avast 7 and all is well again.  Why won't they address this issue and resolve it?  Following in M$'s footsteps is NOT always a good idea, especially over a failed OS like Windows 8.

Aventador

« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
Just had another customer call complaining about his XP computer being so slow.  Brought it to me, right away I noticed Avast had not only upgraded to 8, but had also installed Google Chrome and Toolbar.  Uninstalled all that crap, reinstalled Avast 7 and all is well again.  Why won't they address this issue and resolve it?  Following in M$'s footsteps is NOT always a good idea, especially over a failed OS like Windows 8.

Any pc expert should know that Google Chrome and Google Toolbar does not slow down a computer. They don't even run in real time unless they are open. As far as Avast you void have tried to see what the conflict was such as 3rd party security if any. It's always easier to remove stuff rather then investigate the real issue at hand.

kd5

« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
Any pc expert should know that Google Chrome and Google Toolbar does not slow down a computer. They don't even run in real time unless they are open. As far as Avast you void have tried to see what the conflict was such as 3rd party security if any. It's always easier to remove stuff rather then investigate the real issue at hand.

I never said Google Chrome/Toolbar was responsible for slowing down his computer, I only include those as CRAP that tagged long for the ride.  Seems to me it's easy for you to attack the person than the problem.  Why should I have to spend so much more time diagnosing potential conflicts between Avast 8 and every other security related applicaton when simply uninstalling 8 and reinstalling 7 solves the problem?  I don't feel like spending countless hours doing Avast's work for them.  When it comes down to it, I'm an end user who counts on the Avast team to deliver a stable product.

Just had another customer call me yesterday, I'll be going to his house next week to look at his computer that slowed down considerably after Avast upgraded to 8 (narrowed it down to that event).  Will more than likely be uninstalling 8, reinstalling 7 once again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:25:10 PM by kd5 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »
<snip>
Just had another customer call me yesterday, I'll be going to his house next week to look at his computer that slowed down considerably after Avast upgraded to 8 (narrowed it down to that event).  Will more than likely be uninstalling 8, reinstalling 7 once again.

As a suggestion - why not do a clean install of avast 8 and see if that resolves the problem first (which it has in many instances in the forums) rather than reinstall avast 7.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

circlingsky

« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2013, 03:11:28 AM »
I updated my Windows 7 machine from Avast V6 a few days ago.  I shut down the shields and self-defense first, then installed 8 over 6.  Smooth as melted butter.  I chose not to install the Software Updater.  The only minor complaint I have is that Chrome installation began automatically and I couldn't stop it.  But it's quite simple to uninstall so it's a non-issue for me.  I'd much rather deal with a painless uninstall of Chrome than do without Avast.  Great job on V8, I couldn't be happier.  My computer seems to be running lighter and faster, so although I was happy with 6, this latest release is clearly even better.  Thanks so much for all the work you guys do!

ETA - I just installed 8 on a second computer and there's a clear and easy to find "opt out" of Chrome.  Oops, my fault for not paying attention on the first screen.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:53:54 PM by circlingsky »

RF

« Reply #447 on: June 01, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »
Since you can now opt out of some of the more coercive "features" that were present when V8 was first released, I would say 7 and 8 should present about the same user experience. But unfortunately the V8 GUI is way inferior to the V7 GUI, which I thought was really excellent.

Change for the sake of change is almost always a step backwards, and change because of how an OS vendor, especially Microsoft, views the world this week is unalloyed folly, Microsoft will oscillate between minimalist and maximalist schemes from now until the end of time.

Give it your best shot and let them copy you.   

mrhifi

« Reply #448 on: June 10, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
I really dislike the latest version of AVAST software. I am constantly getting popups from AVAST saying to update the definitions. SO I put it on automatic updates. I am now getting three or four time a day a popup saying the definitions have been updated!!

This is absolute rubbish. I cannot tolerate popups and had no problems at all with V7 Avast.....

I tried to turn the popup windows off but no change.....

Aventador

« Reply #449 on: June 10, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
I really dislike the latest version of AVAST software. I am constantly getting popups from AVAST saying to update the definitions. SO I put it on automatic updates. I am now getting three or four time a day a popup saying the definitions have been updated!!

This is absolute rubbish. I cannot tolerate popups and had no problems at all with V7 Avast.....

I tried to turn the popup windows off but no change.....

Lol...............Your upset cause Avast is informing you that the data base has been updated? Why is that. If you do not want to see that go into settings and disable it. Its that easy.