Author Topic: Force stopping Avast Mobile Security makes web commands time out?  (Read 3833 times)

alexpotter1

Hi,

I recently installed Avast Mobile Security on my Android phone, with the intention of testing out the Anti-Theft function (as well as having my phone protected).

I installed Anti-Theft, rebooted, and set it up on the web.

Normally, with Mobile Security open, I can go onto my.avast.com and send commands to the device. But I decided to find out if I could do it with the MS app closed. Suddenly, the web requests started to say 'Command timed out'.

Wouldn't this be quite a big issue as anyone with any remote knowledge of Android phones would work out that Mobile Security would potentially allow them to be caught, and just Force Stop the app?

Anti-Theft is set to be a device admin, and my device is rooted.

It could just be that I'm mistaken, but it's something that I've noticed.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S: Device specs:
Galaxy Nexus (takju)
CyanogenMod 10.1 (rooted)
TWRP Custom Recovery
Avast Mobile Security 2.0.3849

binhvirile

Re: Force stopping Avast Mobile Security makes web commands time out?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 02:27:26 AM »
Hi Alex,

Mobile Securuty & Anti-Theft work independently, and Anti-Theft is the app which receives and runs the sms command requirements. So I think there is no affect to Anti-Theft if Mobile Security is forced close.

Your problem might caused by the communication issue.

Would you check this again?

Binh

alexpotter1

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
Hi Binh,

I reproduced the problem again on my Galaxy Nexus through the web interface - here is a couple of screenshots.

I really don't know what is going on as I do understand that Anti-Theft is meant to be separate to the Mobile Security.

Alex

When avast MS is forced to stop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/da9cuucjqgyxmfu/closed.png?m
When avast MS is open normally https://www.dropbox.com/s/o85uirqj8ryiqy6/open.png?m

binhvirile

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:28:30 AM »
Hi,

I've just check this. In my phone, when the AMS is forced close, it will be automatic load again if I control the phone via web portal.

Binh

alexpotter1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
Hi,

I just tried to convert it to a system app, and that worked! It comes back when I force close it.

For some reason it wasn't doing that before...

Thanks for your help anyway :)
Alex