Author Topic: Getting Around Verizon Remote Diagnostics  (Read 2862 times)

shonabby

Getting Around Verizon Remote Diagnostics
« on: March 06, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
I read the posts on this. I just need some specific clarification, because I just experienced having my phone stolen, without an anti-theft app. Even though it says it may not work with the Verizon Remote Diagnostics, can I be fairly confident, if my phone is ever stolen again,  it will work from the Avast page on my desktop ("work" meaning send locate and wipe commands)? I would hate to think Verizon won, and it would force me to use their over-bloated security program. I would not feel sevcure3 with Verizon in charge. Thanks for answering.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Getting Around Verizon Remote Diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
Hello,

so, your basic question is if our app works. Well - of course it does.
But there's a thing you might want to consider: if the phone gets stolen and your sim gets replaced with a different SIM card, the new sim card could be a SIM with out a data plan. In this case communication with our server isn't possible. Same problem if the Google Account on the phone gets changed by the thief.

Of course you'd still want to contact your phone. That's why we offer SMS commands. They work without internet connection and are most reliable.

please check our manual for details on the SMS commands:
http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf
give it a try - it's short and easy to understand!

Regards,

Werner

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Getting Around Verizon Remote Diagnostics
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
Hi,

you can also test the SMS commands while you still have the device - if they work the way you want them to, you can safely ignore the warning.

Filip