Author Topic: Avast Firewall won't install, unknown device in device manager  (Read 2538 times)

happytonamy

Hello,

I installed a new motherboard in my computer and before doing so i used sysprep.  Before this, I started to get the "unknown device" issue with the NDIS miniport.  I purchased a 2 year license for Internet Security in November of last year and it had been running fine until late december.  This is when the unknown devices started to pop up.  They also appeared on my work laptop at the same time.  I was also running malwarebytes pro and spybot S&D. 

I tried to uninstall and reinstall avast.  I used the removal tool in safe mode.  I rebooted into safe mode and installed from there.  When I uninstalled using the removal tool, it did NOT remove all the unknown devices which are NDIS firewall miniports.  When I was trying to reinstall in safe mode, it would NOT install the firewall.  I must have the firewall working as I live in China and the amount of network hacking here is ridiculous. When I was using Norton's before this, you could see all the intrusion attempts.

But, back to the main issue.  How do I update the NDIS miniport items or get rid of them?  Windows update can not find a driver update for them as suggested in another thread.  Also, how do I get the firewall to install.  This was the primary reason I paid the $100 last november for a 2 year license.  If avast 8 won't work, is it possible to go back to avast 7?

Thank you for your time.

happytonamy

Re: Avast Firewall won't install, unknown device in device manager
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
I uninstalled avast in safe mode with revo uninstaller to get rid of ALL the registry items since avast uninstall tool left some there.  My windows firewall is working normally.  I tried to reinstall avast under a regular boot and not safe mode and the firewall would not install AGAIN.  Here is the last line from the install log:

Error Installing: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\Inf\x64\aswNdispt.inf (0x800705AA)

I'm at a loss why the firewall won't install correctly.  I've scanned my computer with Malwarebytes Pro and it's clean.  I've used the online scan from ESET and it comes back clean.  My next try will be to go back to safe mode, uninstall with Revo, reboot, then install in Safe Mode. 

I'm extremely disappointed with Avast 8.  So far, it's been nothing but garbage for me.  Does Avast 7 install the firewall differently?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Firewall won't install, unknown device in device manager
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
First, download AIS from http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe.

Instead of Revo uninstaller, use the Avast uninstaller tool from http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and follow the instructions there.  Be sure to run aswclear.exe for all version of Avast that you have had installed in the past, using it's pull-down menu.  Hopefully, aswclear will remove all remnants
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner