Author Topic: (Solved with 1485-8) Slow start of programs (since 8.0.1483; by def updates?)  (Read 7373 times)

dinovom

Hey, anyone else experienced a slower start of programs since the last update (either i can't find same problem in forum/google)? Till 1482 everything was fine. Now when i first call a program it doesn't start immediately/after 1-2 seconds (depending on the program) but after 4-6 seconds, 1 second before start avast finally turns the tray icon around.

If i deactivate temporary and reactivate, or AutoSandbox the problem resolves for some time, if i deactivate file system protection only but persistent there is no such problem. Anyway I somehow think the problem might be related to resistant cache.

Any idea what causes this or what I could try?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:52:11 PM by dinovom »

dinovom

Re: Slow start of programs since 8.0.1483
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »
Well, no answer so i searched if i somehow can reset the cache. There is a way by deleting db*.dat files but now they are not rebuilt again. So i will do a clean reinstall now as this also wipes cache (just have to restart now, but C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast is already nearly clear) and may it's fixed then. Will keep you on track.

I also used the actual uninstall utility in safemode (for v7 and 8 as i just did updates a few version ago). And it seems to be working (so the last update somehow broke the cache - the .dat files also havent been update since then). I ran the shot scan test and the second time was much faster. Also other tools i start once are being cached and even after pc restart - they start fast. So i'll just need to ran a full scan and then everything that can be cached should be.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:02:35 AM by dinovom »

dinovom

Re: (Reopen) Slow start of programs since 8.0.1483
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
It was solved. But now again same problem. And i did a check: Date of last change for db*.dat files was the full scan i ran during the night. This means actually the cache doesn't seem to be read or written. For sure if i do a clean uninstall it might work some time if i don't run a full scan but that's just temporary. Obviously there is some incompatibility with the cache and some file installed (since 1483?). But i don't got a clue how to find that out. And now?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:44 PM »
In AvastUI File System Shield on the Advanced Tab, is all 4 settings checkmarked?  I have them checkmarked and haven't seen the slowdown that you are.  I have run the default full system scan so the persistent cache is populated, though.

On Scan when opening tab, be sure that "Scan all files" is unchecked.  When checked, it can cause serious slowdowns.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »
It was solved. But now again same problem. And i did a check: Date of last change for db*.dat files was the full scan i ran during the night. This means actually the cache doesn't seem to be read or written. For sure if i do a clean uninstall it might work some time if i don't run a full scan but that's just temporary. Obviously there is some incompatibility with the cache and some file installed (since 1483?). But i don't got a clue how to find that out. And now?

The Transient cache is effectively reset on a virus definitions update, those files that are considered/qualify for and included in the Persistent cache remain it it even after a virus definitions update. The only time that would change is if the file actually changed and then it would be scanned and if clean added to the persistent cache again.

- Scan Transient and Persistent caching to speed scanning.
Use transient caching - if transient caching is used, a file that has been scanned, and in which no infection was detected, will not be scanned again the next time it is accessed. However, this is only valid until the next virus definitions update, as the file may contain an infection that was not previously detected but which may be detected based on the new virus definitions. Also, information that the file is clean will only be stored in the computer's operating (temporary) memory. This means that when the system is restarted the information will be lost, therefore the file will also be scanned again the next time it is accessed after a system restart. This box is checked by default; if you want files to be scanned every time they are accessed. this box should be unchecked.

Use persistent caching - if persistent caching is used, the information about the scanned file is stored in the permanent memory. This means it is not lost after a system restart and it is also not affected by virus definition updates. Consequently, persistent caching is suitable only for files which are guaranteed not to contain any virus infection e.g. operating system files, files signed by trusted publishers, or other files covered by the avast! whitelist. This box is checked by default; if you want all files to be scanned regardless of their trust status, this box should be unchecked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dinovom

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

@Gopher John: All 4 settings are checked and "scan all files" is unchecked. Further if you check performance tab on default settings the persistant/transient cache is not always checked - changed that.

@DavidR: I know, might have written it in a misleading way. I just ask why it still scan files if they are already cached. (Meaning seem to be cached till 1482, still should be as with digital signature etc.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
That's the problem, we don't know if they are cached as there is no listing of the files cached and the Persistent cache is pretty selective.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arnold72

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:48 AM »
Hello my version of avast is 8.0.1481.Will avast update automatically as i have tried updating manually and it says im up to date.
Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:04:30 AM »
Hello my version of avast is 8.0.1481.Will avast update automatically as i have tried updating manually and it says im up to date.
Thank you.

This is off-topic for this topic - so I will give one answer - if you require more help then start your own new topic and we will try and help.

Because 8.0.1481 is a beta build and I believe it is checking the beta update stream and there is no beta running.

So I would suggest that you do a clean install of the latest version, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0 for info on the latest version and download locations.

dinovom

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
I just checked the folder today. So cache is now again updated either i can't know what is written. Taking a look on the size it's hard to imagine the files are not cached. One example: IrfanView 4.35 with actual valid digital signature. Till 8.0.1843 everything is fine. It's still fine if i deactivate file protection. It was fine for the short time between the clean install (including starting the program once and even restart pc - the small tool would start immediately on an Samsung SSD 830 with Z77 chiptset -full pc spec-, not after 5 sec.), but after the complete scan the cache or access to cache somehow got corrupted again.

EDIT: Some update: If i start a quick scan again the cache still seems to work: After the clean install it took ~2 min, the second try ~50sec and now still ~50 sec. So it seems it isn't the cache directly but a problem with file protection and the cache. I am going to test some other options now (but need to restart for that to have exact results)

OMG: it seems sovled again. I just started to change the settings: code emulation (from activated to -> deactivated), check on pup (->deactivated), efficiency factor (high->low). Starting with pup deactivated and restart any programs that can be cached starting fast again. I reactivated pup and there is still no problem. 3 opinions: 1.) Simply changing the settings once fixed that bug. 2.) Somehow magically fixed itself 3.) the todays def. update (+restart) solved it (as the bug persisted till restart - but might doesn't apply to quick scan - to bad i didn't scan in between). I do believe in this the most as i already read in this topic that a def. update fixed cache problems. Too bad i just started a post in feedback section.

Great with todays def. it's somewhere inbetween. Some tools start immediately, some tools start faster but still delayed (IrfanView f.e. 2 sec.), some tools start but are blocked like Free Download Manager - process runs but the window is not shown, all fine if i deactivate FSP. Quick Scan is still fine, see below list of scans after clean install:

First Quick Scan (interrupted due to changes in settings): 0:01:24 / 27317 / 1 / 10,7GB
Second Quick Scan (after changed settings): 0:01:45 / 35900 / 25469 / 17,4GB
Next test after restart: 0:00:53 / 35896 / 25469 / 17,4GB
Full scan i told after which the problem as i thouht came back: 0:17:45 / 312784 / 33237 / 333,5GB (remark: external HDD disconnected)
Quick Scan yesterday the 12.03: 0:00:55 /  35748 / 25438 / 17,4Gb
Quick Scan today the 13.03: 0:00:57 / 35713 / 25435 / 17,5GB
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:32:04 PM by dinovom »

dinovom

A little update: its worse again meaning everything starts slow. It's ok if i deactivate File System Protection. But changing any option in it (even disabling the temporary/persistent cache) doesn't change anything. Not wondering about that as temporary should be till restart of pc and that doesn't apply on following behavior: If i start a tool - for a few minutes it seems to be cached and any next start in between would be fast. After the few minutes next start is slow again (then it's cached for few min again and so on). And i experienced this & the hole behavior on a complete other pc too with Version 7.0.1474 on it! So it seems to be def. updates.

Also i am surprised i got 261 votes already (7th in problems section). But if it's caused by def. updates i do not wonder. Still it seems it just happens at certain environments (else there would be much more in forum/feedback).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:28:55 AM by dinovom »

dinovom

Some update: with current 1485 R2 beta (or todays def updates) it seems to be nearly as it was (just a real slight delay). Yet i take it with caution as it seemed to be fixed before. Especially as Avast icon still moves (what it didn't on certain tools that have been cached beginning with some 7.x till 8.0.1482) but that may be just some change in the software and indicating it's not scanning but checking cache?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:27:06 PM by dinovom »

avastreg

I'm having the same problem. My version is registered so I contacted support. They asked for a report, which I supplied, but haven't heard from them for 15 hours or so. I can't get any work done due to the system being so slow and none of the ideas mentioned here have an affect. Very frustrating. I would have thought they would test this better before releasing it. But then to not support it...

dinovom

Do you still got problems with the current 1488 version? I ask cause it even has been marked as solved in feedback-section. And i agree it is solved.