Author Topic: ashWebSv.exe" /service & ashMaiSv.exe" /service - files missing?  (Read 2921 times)

rosso_acido

Just ran a HJT scan just for kicks on my XP SP2 laptop, and noticed these two strange entries in the Services section:
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
I don't think I ever noticed them before... Are they normal, or should I worry? I mean, is it OK that the files are shown as "missing"? Avast seems to be working fine, but even after I did a repair for good measure, the entries persist in the HJT log. ???

I can post the entire HJT log if it's necessary (although I uploaded it at Eddy's online analyser, and nothing else was detected as suspicious save these two mysterious entries, and a couple other things I was able to identify as harmless).

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment,
R. :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: ashWebSv.exe" /service & ashMaiSv.exe" /service - files missing?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:28:32 PM »
Leave those there. They are perfectly legitimate services of Avast.
The 'file missing' is caused by a bug in HJT.
Merijn already knows that it excist and is already working on a solution.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:42:32 PM »
Are they files missing or what? Check your harddrive with favorite tool of yours and you can verify for sure if they are missing or doing other things...

rosso_acido

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 08:56:23 AM »
Thanks so much for the response. :)

Eddy - Thank you for clarifying this. Of course I left the entries alone - by saying "repair" I meant repair of Avast through Add/Remove. It was evident the entries were legitimate, but that "file missing" report had me worried that Avast might have been damaged or something. It's a relief to know everything is OK. 8)

lukor - I did check the system with everything available, and all scans were squeaky clean. I admit (to my shame :P) that I wasn't aware about this bug in HJT. :-[ I also have BitDefender Free installed on the laptop as an "on demand" scanner, and its entries are also appearing as "missing files", so I suppose it's because of the same bug.

Thank you both again. :)
R.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 09:53:43 AM by rosso_acido »