Author Topic: Mail Shield stopping all mail?  (Read 5951 times)

MusiqueGraeme2

Mail Shield stopping all mail?
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
When I installed the latest Avast 8.0.1483 Free I got a message telling me the certificate of my email provider was suspect. It said I could add this certificate as an exclusion if I was sure about it. So I clicked on a button that said "confirm security exclusion". Since then I have been unable to send or receive email from this account. I was able to receive email from a second account until today. Now nothing gets through.

I tried adding the address of my server to global exclusions but the program adds http: to all those and my server is https:?

I found a workaround - disable mail shield while I send and receive emails... may as well disable it completely except I'd like it to check my emails..

Anyone have any better ideas?
Blessings
Graeme

MusiqueGraeme2

Re: Mail Shield stopping all mail?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:44:23 AM »
Just to say that a friend suggested that I turn off SSL Scanning (which is new) and it seems to work really well...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
As has been said, that will work as you aren't scanning any SSL emails, so it doesn't really work really well.

Whilst this may not be identical to your error, it may well be related. Your email client may be different, so you would have to find the corresponding area in its settings.
- ssl error unable to get local issuer certificate -
Hello,
check if you have the avast certificate in Thunderbird, see
https://feedback.avast.com/responses/mail-shield-related-ssl-eror-unable-to-get-local-issuer-certificate

If you accepted some certificates after being alerted by Thunderbird, go to the Servers tab in their Certificate Manager and delete those below the 'avast! Mail Scanner Root'.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Keithj

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:26:21 AM »
Avast on my PC just updated itself and has started doing this.   I keep getting popups to tell me the security certificates for my ISP are no good.  They've been good enough for the past several years, so it sounds more like an Avast problem.

Now to find how to turn off that bit of Avast...

Keithj

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:33:29 AM »
I tried importing and authorising the certificate about ten times, but still it would not let me send or receive mail.  I've now turned off the mail shield, and all is working again.

Keithj

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:14:46 AM »
Well, it certainly had indigestion:

and

After another hour or so changing settings I've managed to get mail working on all but one of my accounts.  It's 2:15 am and that one can wait till the morning.

Keithj

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:19 AM »
Image tags don't work on here, I see.  Oh well.  I tried.

Nor do attached JPEGs.  I get the message.