Author Topic: Where to toggle on / off Clean message tag on sent / received emails  (Read 3672 times)

eBatch

There used to be a setting to toggle on / off the tagging of clean emails with a message to that effect.

I have two PCs with Avast 8. One is still set up to send with the tags and the other is not. But I can't find where to change the settings now so that they are both doing the same.

Anyone point me in right direction?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Where to toggle on / off Clean message tag on sent / received emails
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
this was removed in one of the avast 7 builds

reason it gives a false sence of security, it can be faked, i can copy and paste that at the botyom of a mail and send you

One is still set up to send with the tags and the other is not
if you installed a new version on top of and old that had this, then it is still there..

there is a way to put back..... If DavidR see this he will tell you how

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:53:23 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »
The 'Insert Note into Clean Message' Option removed - This option is greatly depreciated in that it is easy to fake and these fake 'email scanned by XXXX (insert AV of choice) and found to be clean have been used in malicious emails in the past and who trusts that anyway, I certainly don't.

####
If this is something you absolutely must have then you will have to do it manually:
-  You can do it by modifying the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (XP location) or C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Vista, Win7). Note these folders may be hidden.

Find these values InsertNoteCleanMsgIn=0 and InsertNoteCleanMsgOut=0, InsertNoteInfectedMsgIn=0 now change the =0 to =1 (you only need to do that for the ones that you want to have the Note inserted). Now save the changes, the avast! Self-Defence Module will ask for confirmation, answer Yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

eBatch

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Thanks for that.

I generally have it turned off. But find it useful to turn it on for testing purposes as a means of proving whether Avast is actually scanning emails - as I wish to now in the light of the SSL relates changes in V8.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
what does your mail shileld log say?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
Thanks for that.

I generally have it turned off. But find it useful to turn it on for testing purposes as a means of proving whether Avast is actually scanning emails - as I wish to now in the light of the SSL relates changes in V8.

You're welcome.

Me I stick it in outbound emails as a bit of a promotion for avast ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

eBatch

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
David R,

I see that I needed to reboot to get the changes to come into force. In the meantime, I saw that the underlying message source does have inserts from Avast (but it is a lot more clicks to get to that each time).

As it happens, many years ago I materially changed the wordings in my Clean tag files (I found the Avast ones somewhat verbose [a bit like me I guess]) , so I can readily tell if it I receive a spurious Inbound "clean" message.

BTW, I assume you meant deprecated not depreciated.

Thanks again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
No, I did mean depreciated (To lessen the price or value of.) as in its value/purpose is much depreciated, if the recipient actually can't take what is said in these messages as they can be faked.

The x-antivirus entries in the email header are a little more trustworthy, but headers too can be manipulated.