Author Topic: P2P Shield blocking internet access  (Read 2650 times)

AShaR

P2P Shield blocking internet access
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:15:47 PM »
Hi,

I am using the free version of Avast! and I can only access the internet when P2P shield is disabled. It was fine when I installed it but since then I have had problems last couple of days. Not sure if it is a conflict with other installed software, or maybe something has been changed on the pc. Hard for me to say as the pc is family used as opposed to my own. Any solutions? I currently have P2P shield disabled.

The kids like using msn messenger would that be an issue?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: P2P Shield blocking internet access
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 11:30:30 PM »
Are you sure it is the P2P provider and not the Webshield?
What exact version of Avast do you have?
If it is not 4.6.618 I suggest you upgrade and see if the problem is solved.

Also make sure the system is clean from malware.
Click on the link in my signature and follow the instruction in the malware removal section.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 11:50:31 PM by Eddy »

AShaR

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 02:26:47 PM »
I have version 4.6.603 which is the latest model I believe. It was definitely the P2P shield as I disabled each one in turn until I had narrowed it down to the P2P. It's working fine again now strangely enough. This is the second time this has happened, the first time a Spybot run cleared the problem, this time I had to disable PTP shield and a re-boot seems to have got rid of the problem.

I'll report back if there are any more problems.

EDIT:

Seems like Zone Alarm might have something to do with it, something similar is dicussed in this topic: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0

« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:29:15 PM by AShaR »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 02:35:05 PM »
Strange, but keep monitoring it if you will. It may help solving things. The latest version is 4.6.618 (beta). It's up to you if you want to install that one or not, but is did solve a lot of things.

fyi:
The problems are only with the later version of ZA, earlier versions (4.x) don't have this problem.