Author Topic: avast! Anti-Theft: Is photo-feature coming in near future?  (Read 5164 times)

DoenerKebap

avast! Anti-Theft: Is photo-feature coming in near future?
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
Hello!

I have compared different anti-theft Solutions for my Nexus 4.
By now 2 apps are head-to-head: avast! and Cerberus.

Now while avast! seems kick-ass for me and i used it alot on PC, it is lacking one Major Feature Cerberus has: Taking photos with the front camera (i.e. when SIM is changed, or pin is entered wrong, or just by command).

So my question is: Is this Kind of Feature coming with avast in the future or have you willingly decided to abstain from it?

Same question for audio-Streaming, which would help to identify a thief, if you recognize his voice for example.

DoenerKebap

Re: avast! Anti-Theft: Is photo-feature coming in near future?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
oh well, i just found this thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=103794.msg830983#msg830983
from August last year.

you should REALLY consider including that Feature. That would probably make you no. 1 in anti-theft, which at the Moment Cerberus is.

DoenerKebap

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »
Hello,
no answer?
Is that a "no" or a "we're internally considering it" ? ;)

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
answered via PN

AllenM

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »
I had posted the original post in this thread. Would it also be possible for you to supply me with the info regarding Anti-Theft photo feature.

Thank you.

Portos

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »
In another thread it was mentioned that the feature was already programmed but due to data protection concerns not implemented.
Clearly there is a lot of different levels of data protection on the globe and while in the US, Russia and China it doesn't exist at all it is a fundamental right in Europe and protected well.
However the Austrian data protection authority - as one of the "hardliners" - would not see any problem taking pictures of a potential thief. With some restrictions. The message window that the phone is stolen must be displayed once. If the thief deletes it or even removes it and only the rooted part is active that warning is not necessary anymore ofc. The reason is that you may not use the phone to spy on people on which phone you install the program or on persons that you give your phone, they must get a warning that the phone they have in hands is in "stolen mode".

I suppose implementing that is hard. Also Avast does not send data to the web platform when triggered via SMS. That would be required if you want also to have pictures of the thieves right after they stole it.

Cerberus doesn't care and as you can see on their forum people actually use Cerberus to spy on their kids a lot, which might be OK in a US, Russian or Chinese society, but not so welcome in Europe...

DoenerKebap

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
The implementation/installation of the feature is part of your proprietary right of the device you own and therefore absolutely legal in germany.
It's usage against a thief is legally justified by ยง 32 StGB. edit: - with no warning necessary!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:35:57 PM by DoenerKebap »

Tobias56

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
Honestly if I were a kid I would be more concerned about the fact that you can read SMSes (which ATT can already do) than taking a photo. But I understand it could be a problem however this feature is critical to recover your phone.

pauldmps

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:23:35 AM »
Let's compare this feature with other competitors in the market:

1. Lookout : HAS THIS FEATURE
2. Cerberus : HAS THIS FEATURE
3. Android Lost: HAS THIS FEATURE
4. Prey: HAS THIS FEATURE
5. Comodo Anti Theft: HAS THIS FEATURE
6. Where's My Droid (pro): HAS THIS FEATURE

Avast : DOES NOT HAVE THIS IMPORTANT FEATURE FOR SOME CRAPPY PRIVACY ISSUES !!!!