Author Topic: No internet connectivity after Avast Pro 8 installed  (Read 8627 times)

Joshie101

No internet connectivity after Avast Pro 8 installed
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Hi.

I installed Avast Pro 8 today, just to find out afterwards, I have no network connectivity. I am using Windows 7 64-bit. It shows in my network status that I am connected to the internet, but my browser (Chrome) won't connect, nor will Skype, uTorrent or any other program. WebShield isn't active on the Avast Interface and I can't start up AvastSvg.exe (or something like that). It keeps saying that I must check if any firewall is blocking it, and my Windows Firewall is off (turned it off to see if that would solve the issue).

I've looked at many forum posts, but none have seemed to help me solve this issue.

I had BitDefender on before, but that somehow ended up crashing and I removed it and decided to install the free version and then update it to this version of Avast. Even if I disable Avast or uninstall it, the internet connectivity is just not coming back. I really need the internet as it is part of work. I have been ripping my hair out with this issue now for hours and I just can't seem to find a solution. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: No internet connectivity after Avast Pro 8 installed
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
Did you run the Bitdefender removal tool after uninstalling BD ? http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-uninstall-Bitdefender-333.html

Have you rebooted the system since installing avast ( should be no need to turn off the windows firewall either )

Johnny4745

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:27 PM »
I would restore the system to the way it was before you installed Avast, and start over.

Type restore in the search box hit enter, and choose to restore to an earlier time.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »
I would restore the system to the way it was before you installed Avast, and start over.

Type restore in the search box hit enter, and choose to restore to an earlier time.
The only way that would work effectively would be if restoring from a system image, BD would be totally messed up after a normal restore ( only parts of it would be there )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

I wouldn't touch system restore as it can have unexpected consequences. 1. the avast self-defence doesn't like it and unless disabled may cause corruption in avast. 2. even then it may also result in problems as we have seem some people end up with a trial version of avast pro after a system restore.

How that comes about is beyond me, but I certainly wouldn't recommend system restore.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Joshie101

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
I've tried rebooting several times and nothing worked. I did do a System Restore (I now see that I shouldn't have). But wouldn't the problem lie in a setting that Avast might hane changed in the network settings? Even if I uninstall Avast, the internet still won't work.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
The internet might not be working due to remnants from BD causing corruption of the avast install, run the removal tool for BD from the link I supplied earlier and then perform a clean install of avast using the aswclear tool http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe ( avast removal tool ), hopefully you saved your last avast download otherwise you'll have to re-download.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:39:38 PM by craigb »

Joshie101

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »
Still no luck. Tried running both the BD and Avast Removal in Safe Mode, restarted, installed Avast again and WebShield still doesn't want to start up and still no internet connection. I really don't know what's going on. This is so frustrating.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
Is there any other security software installed on the system? if other AV's installed in the past that may also have remnants remaining, check here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ for removal tools to most popular AV's.

Is the Windows firewall in it's default settings? if outbound protection has been enabled exclusions for avast would need to be set.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:18:32 AM by craigb »

Johnny4745

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
I was able to duplicate your problem while trying figure out how to block Google.  In the firewall under application rules, I went to Avast Service, packet rules, and changed action from allow to ask.

Avast didn't ask, it just wouldn't let me go to any website.  I got the message:  Firefox can't find the website.  There was no message from Avast, even though Avast was stopping Internet traffic.

I went back an changed the packet rules from ask to allow, I still couldn't go to any website.

I went back to application rules, and Avast Service, where I noticed the icon under allowed connections was dim.  I clicked on the fourth from the highest setting, which is friends in and internet out, and the icon brightened up, and everything was fine.

If I knew how to insert an image, I might be able to explain it better.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »
I was able to duplicate your problem while trying figure out how to block Google.  In the firewall under application rules, I went to Avast Service, packet rules, and changed action from allow to ask.

Avast didn't ask, it just wouldn't let me go to any website.  I got the message:  Firefox can't find the website.  There was no message from Avast, even though Avast was stopping Internet traffic.

I went back an changed the packet rules from ask to allow, I still couldn't go to any website.

I went back to application rules, and Avast Service, where I noticed the icon under allowed connections was dim.  I clicked on the fourth from the highest setting, which is friends in and internet out, and the icon brightened up, and everything was fine.

If I knew how to insert an image, I might be able to explain it better.
Until the OP has responded with details about whether the outbound protection of the windows firewall has been enabled or not then you are jumping the gun here, if the outbound is not activated then there is no need for any exclusions within the windows firewall.

Johnny4745

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
Maybe I didn't explain it right.  I was talking about packet rules in the Avast firewall.

The person that started this topic said the Windows firewall was turned off.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
Maybe I didn't explain it right.  I was talking about packet rules in the Avast firewall.

The person that started this topic said the Windows firewall was turned off.
You also didn't read right as the OP has avast pro and the windows firewall ;)