Author Topic: New update - activity log feature.  (Read 9541 times)

rumpletoughskin

New update - activity log feature.
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
Dear Avast,
                   I appreciate free products but just a small moan: when you introduce new features, how about some decent documentation that explains what the feature does and why.
Further, as with the shield counters, there appears to be no way to reset or clear the info this feature collates.
So I would assume if I use avast lots for a year, the info (I.e. data) file this feature creates will just get bigger and bigger.
Some of us would love the ability to reset this type of info collection on their phones and I have turned off all the activity filters to prevent continual data creation on my phone which renders your new feature redundant!
As there are no instructions I am guessing that I have not missed a way to reset info but if I have please do let me know
I apologise if I sound ungrateful but some of us end users would like a bit more control over what their phone is doing/storing.
Thanks in advance for any info on this feature and how to best manage it
Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:14:06 PM by rumpletoughskin »

rumpletoughskin

Re: New update - activity log feature.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »
Aaaagh! Just realised that unticking filters doesn't stop avast storing activity recording

Please give us some control over this feature.
V.annoying.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:45:28 PM by rumpletoughskin »

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Hi,

the Activity log you see in the app will always have max 500 lines, so it's really not that big. We also store the log on the sd card/external memory in a file on path Android/data/com.avast.android.mobilesecurity/files/log/avast-log.txt which you can delete anytime. On my phone the file has around 40 000 lines after a few months of using the feature and it's approx. 4MB large. I think you can handle that :)

Ondra

rumpletoughskin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
Is this type of info available anywhere as knowing that sort of thing helps.
Just out of interest , I deleted the log text file but have to ask why record the data twice?
Deleting the log text doesnt clear the apps record of activity so why make 2 copies?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »
It's not twice, entries after the 500 threshold are offloaded to SD card to keep internal memory footprint low. If you examine the file carefully, you will see there are older entries that most probably won't interest you anymore in the app (hence they are not shown in the log), but might get useful if you want to verify something or for troubleshooting.

Filip

rumpletoughskin

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »
Right got it thanks! 
Appreciated the help.
Cheers  :)