Author Topic: Avast crashes in Virtual XP -- aswsnx.sys the culprit?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline dale5351

Avast crashes in Virtual XP -- aswsnx.sys the culprit?
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
I installed Avast on my computers a couple of weeks ago, including in my virtual XP running on my Win7 machine.  I'd been having a lot of crashes while doing simple things, such as navigating in Explorer on a networked drive.  There were some actions that would reliably cause the virtual XP box to restart.

In another forum ( http://www.sevenforums.com/ ) some helpful person had me upload a zip file of the dumps.  He looked at them and said that there was a consistent error message, namely:
Code: [Select]
b5cfcaf8  b980f316Unable to load image aswSnx.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswSnx.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswSnx.SYS
 aswSnx+0x5c316

The recommendation was to get rid of Avast in favor of MSE, but I did not want to do that.  Instead, I did further experiments and found what I think might be related to the problem.

I had done a custom install, putting Avast into its own folder in a special folder I had created for installed programs.  I have a habit of not allowing programs to be installed in the usual C:\program files -- reserving C: for strictly MS stuff as much as I can.

What I did was to uninstall Avast and then reinstall with the default install.   After I did that, the crashes went away -- I've been two days good now, and the things that would reliably cause a crash no longer do so.

It would seem that the Avast programs cannot properly use aswsnx.sys when it is not in the default folder.  IMO, that is a bug.