Author Topic: Message after Boot Scan  (Read 8173 times)

emma

Message after Boot Scan
« on: March 16, 2005, 03:04:55 PM »
After a boot scan this morning the following message appeared.  I usually just close out of them.  The date on the message states early March instead of today. Is this something I need to be concerned about?
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Message after Boot Scan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:54:49 PM »
Do you get them after 'all' restarts of just one?
If it occurs in all boots, can you disable avast! providers (answering yes to the question about remaining settings) one by one to see if one of them is the trouble?
I don't think this is avast! related anyway...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

emma

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:39:36 PM »
I just saw a similar post in the main Avast thread call Generic Host process
I don't get this message every time I restart.  It just seemed to come today after the avast boot scan.  Coincidence I guess.  I must have seen the same message earlier in March as the date says.  I have checked notes I keep and don't see any unusal activity on that day.  I haven't gotten any new programs.

Did these things just now:
1. Spybot scan  --clean
2. Another complete virus scan (not from the boot up)
3. Hijacks scan---but haven't had it analyzed.

I didn't understand how to do the disabling of start ups as suggestioned in the other thread.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:54:23 PM »
I didn't understand how to do the disabling of start ups as suggestioned in the other thread.

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
Choose one provider and disable it.
Answer 'yes' to persist the changes after boot.
Work, boot, etc. See if anything is wrong.
Enable this provider (answer yes again) and choose another.

But, in fact, all this is bla, bla, bla.
Your system seems to be working well. I won't worry that much about that message. If it comes again, then let's troubleshooting it  ;D

emma

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 11:13:28 PM »
I just spent the last 35 minutes doing a Scan Disk or Check Disk.  I had to restart before doing this.  It came out clean, but then the same above message came up EXCEPT the date showed March the 9th instead of the earlier date. 

I will now work on doing the disabling of avast providers.

Yes, everything seems to be working OK, but I don't like these little notes. :(

emma

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 11:39:17 PM »
I disabled and rebooted etc  each provider.
No message came up after each boot.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 02:42:08 AM »
I disabled and rebooted etc  each provider.
No message came up after each boot.

Emma, but is the error message appearing again or not?
Maybe this help, are you using XP?
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm

Go to folder C:\windows\minidump and see if you have any recent .mdmp files.
And to the folder <avast>\data\log and see if there are any files called unpXXXX there  (where XXXX is a random number).
They may contain more information about the problem.  ::)

emma

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 03:09:05 AM »

Thanks for your time.
The message came twice today.
l.  When I ran a virus boot scan this AM
2. When I ran a scan disk or the CheckDisc  later this afternoon

Nothing came up when I disabled the avast providers

The latest minidump file was 9/21/2004

The avast log file was unp235521692
I opened the file and this is what it said:
Crash list of Avast Antivirus, v.4.6.603

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 3/12/2005, 8:07:52 PM

Computer name: MMA

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Personal (Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Processor:

emma

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 03:17:02 PM »
I searched Google and found many having the same message.  But nobody seemed to have the final say.  The reasons for it AND the solutions ran from A to Z.  I didn't read any cases that were similar to mine and did not try any of the solutions suggested as I didn't want to dig a deeper hole.

szAppname: svchost.exe  szAppVer: 0.0.0.0  szModName: unknown 
szModVer: 0.0.0.0  offset: 00000000

This message to me seemed only to come with a virus boot scan or the Check disk scan.  Maybe I just won't do those 2 things any more ;D
Or maybe I should just send the message to MS and keep bombarding them with it. :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
Emma, sorry I'm empty... can't imagine what is going on...  ::)

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 01:23:40 AM »
Emma I was getting this message around the same time as I had my keyboard problems (thread in Off Topic) when I sorted the Keyboards out I stopped getting the messages, I had a few driver problems... don't know if this is any help to you ...... :) :)

emma

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 05:26:23 PM »
I started this thread several weeks ago when I received the following error message after doing a checkdisk and a boot scan with avast.  I did not seem to have any other problems.

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close." 
Error signature:
szAppname: svchost.exe  szAppVer: 0.0.0.0  szModName: unknown 
szModVer: 0.0.0.0  offset: 00000000

Technical tried to help, but it seemed there was no answer.  I did a Google search but found nothing that corresponded to my situation.  I finally called the tech support that came with my computer purchase (it is usually the last place I go for help ...lol).  After being on the phone with them for many many hours and doing all kinds of acrobatic maneuvers, it was decided I needed a new hard drive and a new install of Windows.  I was off  the computer for a week until the new hard drive and Windows were installed.  Recently I did a Checkdisk and no error message appeared.  This morning I did an avast boot scan and the same message appeared.  I then redid a checkdisk scan and I did not get this error message.  It seemed to only come after a boot scan with avast.

I of course will recall my manufacturer's tech support and go through another painful session.

Since the error message seems to come after an avast boot scan, I am asking for AVAST input.  I feel I need to be able to tell the tech support that I have done everything possible concerning the antivirus program.

Thanks, emma

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 06:00:08 PM »
Strangely enough I did a google search for the error message in your post, including the quotes and it returned 88 hits.

http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Generic%20Host%20Process%20for%20Win32%20Services%20encountered%20a%20problem%20and%20needed%20to%20close.%22

Whilst they may not exactly replicate your circumstances/system/software, etc. it should give a good grounding on why it may happen and the fact that many will never find out why it happened.

Have you read this MS KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821690

Is this something that is happen so frequently that it is a pain or very infrequently?

If I get something like this I check the windows event logs and see if there is anything there that may indicate the program that was using svchost.exe as your error message simply has szModName: unknown. After that if there is nothing definitive I just forget it as there are so many processes that use svchost.exe to make trouble shooting more of a pain the the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

emma

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 06:54:14 PM »
Yes, I did find reference to that error too while searching and read your referred article.
I did as you advised and checked the event log (another new place that I had never been and I actually found it without any help :D ).  There in the application section was an error at about the time the scan was probably finished.  Didn't tell me much. But as I don't ever see this error except when I do that particular scan, I will probably ignore it.

In fact that is what I originally was doing--ignoring it.  Then on a whim I thought I would check with my computer techs just in case.  The pains and panics I went through I have already described in another thread so won't repeat them here.   :P

Thanks for your answer.  Going to relax and forget about it and just enjoy my computer.
emma

emma

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 02:38:07 PM »
I had 2 more mornings of getting the same error.  I finally decided to send the Error Report to MS
and lo and behold I got a link back!!!

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=a7b3164b-4a96-4b17-a0d6-de4f5cf45d17&SID=1501

They say they are working on it.  (yeah sure).

Hope this is helpful to others who have the same error.