Author Topic: rooted device forgot password  (Read 4729 times)

T72D

rooted device forgot password
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
hi. i installed avast on my galaxy sIII when it wasn't rooted and set a password. then i forgot my password and rooted my device. then i read a littlebit and someone said to reinstall it. but that only made it worse. now i cant access avast, i dont have any way to reset my password, and i cant uninstall anything, because avast stops it. and i have installed a crappy program that spams notifications.

is there some way to reset the pin or remove avast, when i have:
rooted device.
no pin recovery.
forgot pin.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: rooted device forgot password
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
Hi

Mobile Security can still be uninstalled using Google Play at the moment. Not sure about Anti-Theft though.

Filip

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:42 AM »
Hello,

thank you for your detailed explanation - makes it easier for me to help you.
although there is still one question left: you reinstalled Anti-Theft, right? did you choose rooted installation in the setup process?

in my next explanations, I'll assume you have Mobile Security installed with active uninstall protection and Anti-Theft installed rooted.

the first thing you'll want to do is to uninstall avast! Mobile Security AND Anti-Theft to reset your avast! PIN.

to remove root installations of Anti-Theft, use the free tool "Titanium Backup".

alternatively we offer a uninstall.zip at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27553331/root%20uninstall.zip
unzip it and run uninstall.bat with your phone connected via USB to the pc. make sure usb-debugging is enabeled on your phone and the phone driver is installed on the PC.
If you do it on the PC where you rooted your phone you usually have these drivers available.

hope this helps!
if not - contact me again and let me know what you tried/where you failed.

Werner
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:07:00 PM by Werner »

T72D

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
hi, thank you for your help. it worked when i used titanium backup :) so now i ahve reinstalled it and gotten acces,

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
I'm glad it worked!

have a nice weekend!

Tobias56

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
You shouldn't be able to uninstall AT like that (especially in rooted mode with uninstall protection on) and above all you shouldn't give instructions to people since you have no idea if they're the legitimate owners !

What Avast should do is make the phone number for pin recovery mandatory AND the sync with avast.com mandatory. Then you have two backup options in case you forgot your pin.

pckarma112

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
I found this post with a Google search. Forgot to look to see how old it is? Hopefully avast has changed since this was posted and prevents this from happening. But, I am shocked that this moderator would give out this info.
It may have just helped a thief keep the phone he stole....great job, buddy.

svehlak

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:48:20 AM »
Actually you can set the PIN again through my.avast portal as well as activate AT again. Concerning the safe mode - in this mode EVERY third party application can be uninstalled no matter what or how thea are secured. What is your solution - to leave customer without help?