Author Topic: Slow internet or internet connectivity issues, aswMBR won't finish running  (Read 3390 times)

AngelBeats

I am not a tech guy so please mind me.

Bought a new laptop (lenovo y400 ideapad) a couple of weeks back, not sure when i noticed the slow internet speeds and frequent connectivity issues but i am simply paranoid about it. Also, being a curious person, i ran aswMBR to test it out but realised it would always end with a ' avast! antirootkit has stopped working ' after half a minute or so.  Also noticed there is a ' disk 0 unknown mbr code ' during the aswmbr scan if that matters.

I attached my otl log if that helps.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Hi, lets check the MBR with a different programme

• Download RogueKiller  and save it on your desktop.

NOTE: If using IE8 or better Smartscreen Filter will need to be disabled

• Quit all programs
  • Start RogueKiller.exe.
  • Wait until Prescan has finished ... 
  •     Click on Scan

• Wait for the end of the scan. 
  • The report has been created on the desktop. 
  • Click on the Delete button.

• Next click on the ShortcutsFix   

Please post:    All RKreport.txt text files located on your desktop.

AngelBeats

Is it better for me to post or attach the logs? I will attach it this round again.

EDIT: Just thought i'd let you know, my laptop was configured by the techs at the school ( it was a requirement for all students ), not sure in what way it is configured though.
I won't lose any data or programs right? I need most of the adobe software for my current modules . Thanks in advance essexboy.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:06:23 AM by AngelBeats »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Is it better for me to post or attach the logs?
attach...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
The MBR looks good, so that is a bonus.  I can see no apparent malware so I will empty all temporary files and then run a diagnostics programme

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
THEN

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

AngelBeats

Thanks for helping out essexboy. May i ask what was the HJ DESK shown in the the rkill report just now? Thanks once again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
That was just a reporting code for my use.. It is OK

The net connections appear OK are you still getting slow connectivity ?

AngelBeats

The connectivity issue seems to occur only when connected to my home wifi and it happens once or twice a day lasting from 5 minutes to an hour , i have no problem when connected to other networks. Is it a router compatibility issue with my laptop? The rest of my devices at home never experience this problem. Nevertheless thank you for your help essexboy.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Hmm that is not an easy one to check out, it may be worth resetting your connection for that router

So from the network section in control panel remove the network and then rejoin it

AngelBeats

I tried it but to no avail  :'(

The problem isn't that bad though, so i can probably live with it. Thanks for your help and please continue fighting against malware!
I have been stalking you the past 3 years in various forums helping others out and i really appreciate your knowledge and kindness. Take care and stay safe!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Sorry we were unable to get to the root of it

Run OTL and press the cleanup  to remove it, and just delete minitoolbox from the desktop