Author Topic: Web shield....  (Read 32738 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Web shield....
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2005, 08:00:14 PM »
OK, if it's the standard Windows error message then I'd need the mdmp files that got generated during the crash.
Click "To see what data...", then click "To view technical information...", and before closing the dialog, send me the files that are in the "The following files will be..." box. Please note that closing the dialog will delete the files so you need to copy them off before closing the dialog.

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Datagg

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2005, 08:16:27 PM »
OK, if it's the standard Windows error message then I'd need the mdmp files that got generated during the crash.
Click "To see what data...", then click "To view technical information...", and before closing the dialog, send me the files that are in the "The following files will be..." box. Please note that closing the dialog will delete the files so you need to copy them off before closing the dialog.

Thanks
vlk

Just sent you the info via your email vlk

Thanks

Dan

hegedusa

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2005, 08:21:09 PM »

4.6.603 seems to do a good job, I don't have any viruses.  I also have McAfee vs 9, it's turned off.  I've ran the McAfee manual scan a few times with Avast! shut off, it didn't find anything.  I'm testing Avast! for a replacement for McAfee.

No contest! Mcafee is the most complex, ineffective, destructive and above all interfering piece of "software" I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

The whole thing is eye-candy - from the pointless "security index" graphs on the main page to the feature that tracks where an "attack" is coming from. It's bloated, goes wrong on most installations I've seen and doesn't actually detect as many viruses as Avast in my experience.  Most of my customers who use McAfee have actually complained about it to me and paid me to remove it, and after replacing it with Avast, have never had a problem!

As an experiment, try going to smileycentral.com and clicking the blue circle to "get free smileys" -- see which AV tool actually blocks the malware present in there.

hipgnosis

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2005, 10:32:09 PM »
You are redirecting a secure web page to port 80 and Webshield instead of normal port 443.  Webshield can't scan it for viruses because it is encrypted before it gets to Webshield.  If you are using IE, you can try the following:

tools/options/internet connections/LAN settings/use a proxy/advanced
http 127.0.0.1 port 12080

In avast! webshield set up, remove the 80 under redirected http ports

This should redirect all http traffic to Webshield and let https traffic go through normally, even though it is on port 80 instead of port 443

Similar should work with foxfire/options/network settings

ok, I did all that and.............................it worked  ;D

Now, should I leave the http redirected ports blank or replace the 80 with 12080?  I tried it both ways and it worked both ways.  I just want to make sure I do it right and don't open up any security holes.

Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated  :)

sded

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2005, 11:16:08 PM »
Either way will work.  Vik pointed out in a previous thread that there was no point in the 12080 redirection, since you are just redirecting 12080 (got there by the proxy) back to 12080.  I think leaving it blank is less confusing.

hipgnosis

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 11:20:56 PM »
Either way will work.  Vik pointed out in a previous thread that there was no point in the 12080 redirection, since you are just redirecting 12080 (got there by the proxy) back to 12080.  I think leaving it blank is less confusing.

That makes sense.   :)

Thanks again for helping me to resolve this problem.

mrckmn

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »
Hello,
Well, upon reading some of the post's in this topic, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in. I had been running with the webshield provider disabled, do to past problems with it. When I updated the avast software to 4.6.523, I had left webshield turned off. Recently, I had been trying to use the latest mozilla firefox browser 1.0.01 . Still..with webshield disabled, firefox was at first working pretty well, but then it started freezing up on me. Those familiar with firefox will tell you they always say to "just create a new profile", when problems occur. I still feel as though firefox is somewhat buggy. After doing so, and ending up with the same problem, I un-installed firefox completely, and have now went back to IE 6.0 SP2. I decided to enable webshield again, and after doing so..at least so far..I haven't had a problem with it. That tells me the avast team DID help the previous problem that I was having with it . Thanks avast team.. ;D

Skram0

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2005, 04:03:59 AM »
OK, what you could do is start the provider, then open the Task Manager Processes tab, and

1. check if ashWebSv.exe is on the process list
2. how many threads does it have (to enable the Thread Count column, use the View -> Select Columns menu command.

BTW how are you connected to the Internet? Aren't you, by a chance, using VPN connection?

BTW2 what time is it where you are? (I see you're from the US) :o

Thanks
Vlk
I'm in pacific time. I'm connected through a networked router.

ashWebSv.exe is running with 16 threads. It doesn't change even if I terminate Web Shield. Still there with 16 threads. I might be able to get it back to working status if I End Task it or try to reboot again, but I figure while it's not working it might be usefull to poke around and try to find out why it didn't activate after the first reboot of the upgrade.