Author Topic: CHECKING MULTI E-MAIL CLIENTS  (Read 2581 times)

Jorgo

CHECKING MULTI E-MAIL CLIENTS
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:44:37 AM »
I am using the latest update to Avast!Home Edition, and have added another e-mail account with Gmail.

Avast checks and marks my Wackado account as been tested for viruses but does not do anything with Gmail.

Does Home Edition check 2 clients or do I require the Pro Edition, the way I read it is that the home edition will check all POP3 accounts

Maybe there is a setting that I have missed

Jorgo

sded

Re: CHECKING MULTI E-MAIL CLIENTS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 01:55:03 AM »
Gmail requires secure access for both pop3 and smtp.  Take a look at the thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up gmail with Avast!.  Plus you can search on SSL to find more info.  Since SSL/TLS email is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it.   Most virus programs just pass the traffic.  The solution is to pass email in and out unencrypted from gmail to a proxy program (stunnel) that does the actual ssl encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp email and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports.  Openssl is just the library of encryption/ decryption routines that support it.  One time setup required using these free routines per the instructions in the thread.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: CHECKING MULTI E-MAIL CLIENTS
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 02:27:48 AM »
I am using the latest update to Avast!Home Edition, and have added another e-mail account with Gmail.
Avast checks and marks my Wackado account as been tested for viruses but does not do anything with Gmail.

avast works perfectly with GMail pop3 but you must use Stunnel and OpenSSL like written before.

Does Home Edition check 2 clients or do I require the Pro Edition, the way I read it is that the home edition will check all POP3 accounts

No, Home version handles perfectly as many email accounts as you want/need  ;)
The best things in life are free.