Author Topic: illegal operatrion  (Read 2271 times)

help me

illegal operatrion
« on: March 25, 2005, 03:56:09 AM »
Please help, I am so frustrated.  A friend asked me for help and I am lost.
Here is the error message:
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.  Close
if the problem persists, contact the program vendor. details>>
Explorer caused a general protection fault in module <unknown> at 0000:823aa86e.
Byes at cs: EIP

stack dump

Any sugesstions would be appreciated, I have been searching a long time.

Thanks

techie101

Re: illegal operatrion
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:07:48 AM »
Stacks keep track of the sequence of routines called in a program. For example, one routine calls another, which calls another and so on.   Therefore the origination of the term "stacked".  The routines are "stacked" one upon another.  As each routine is completed, the computer returns control to the calling routine all the way back to the first one that started the sequence.

0000:823aa86e is a memory location which cannot be directed related to a specific cause.  It only indicates the location in memory where the dump occurred.

Since Explorer encountered an error within itself, the Stack dumped all memory information.  Explorer errors can be caused by many many different reasons.

At this point, tell your friend to do a DiskScan and Defrag for starters.  Reboot the computer and see how things run.

Most of the time, these types of erros dissapear with a reboot.  If the error returns, then come back and we'll go into it further.

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 05:09:21 AM by Techie101 »