Author Topic: query regarding working of avast antitheft on lost phone  (Read 3902 times)

drkapil

query regarding working of avast antitheft on lost phone
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:10:36 AM »
Hello,
               I lost my samsung galaxy note II yesterday. I had installed avast anti virus anti theft on my cell. when i came to know about the loss of my cell, i sent sms to lock the phone n mark it as lost from my registered cell number. But i received no feedback from avast. then i tried to control the device thru web, but it says connection timed out error to all my commands. My lost cell phone is still switched off. i have the following queries-
1. Will the commands that i had given earlier work whenever the thief switches it on again or do i need to send them again.
2. As it is said that avast will work even after sim change, then it will automatically send these sms to the new number. naturally the first instinct of that person would be to switch off the phone after finding the phone locked or due to ringing of its siren. how will avast help me then?

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: query regarding working of avast antitheft on lost phone
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »
1. Will the commands that i had given earlier work whenever the thief switches it on again or do i need to send them again.
if you send command SMS, and the phone gets switched on with the sim card in working condition, the commands will be executed.
web commands won't be executed later on.

2. As it is said that avast will work even after sim change, then it will automatically send these sms to the new number. naturally the first instinct of that person would be to switch off the phone after finding the phone locked or due to ringing of its siren. how will avast help me then?
I agree with you - a thief would probably turn off a locked phone. Avast helps you protect your privacy here.
I, for my part disable the lock and siren function on my phone, in order to keep the phone in working condition for a potential thief. This increases my chances of getting the phone back.

drkapil

Re: query regarding working of avast antitheft on lost phone
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
Thanks for clearing my doubts. i was also thinking that probably its better to keep the cell unlocked and its siren off to increase the chances of its retrieval. Regarding privacy, the thing is that as these days cell phones can work without sim. so that person might be using it like that and my gallery, messages and all the stuff is open as antivirus will work only when he puts any sim in it. Am i wrong???