Author Topic: Opera Problem  (Read 5731 times)

Undead-Divine-Assassin

Opera Problem
« on: May 05, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
I recently started using the Opera web browser and all the information I've found suggest that Avast Free is supposed to have some level of integration with it like Firefox. Reviews of Avast also state it is compatible with Opera and the WebRep plugin in particular should work with it. I'm using Avast v.8.01483.72.

However when I go to Settings > Browser Integration only IE and Firefox are shown.

Any help in getting Avast to work with Opera appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Opera Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
First step is to update to the latest avast version 8.0.1488 and see if that changes things, I don't use Opera so I don't know if the webrep is compatible or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cooby

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:14:41 AM »
It's compatible with Opera. Here you can see where it it is:

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
Thanks but that ^ is exactly where I went looking for it and Opera is showing I have no extensions, add-ons or whatever.
I haven't added any others myself

Surely Avast itself should be showing Opera on the Settings > Browser Integration page I mentioned if they were recognising one another. which clearly they're not?

I've just downloaded WOT, Opera's own version of WebRep to see if that works OK. It does but I still would very much like to know why Avast isn't integrating with Opera as it is supposed to.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:11:52 PM »
Did you installed Opera in default folder?
I have option to install WebRep, but I am also
using WOT.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »
you have normally installed Opera or using the portable setup of Opera?

also what version of Opera?

note: for me the Avast! Online Security plugin 1488 works fine in Opera 12.15
just only annoyance is that the button design is same as with old webRep and not new design from Online Security
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:30:18 PM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did set Opera up using the Single User option (ie. myself/ administrator) rather than using the default settings and I was thinking something about this might be the cause of the problem.   

Before I came back here and read your posts I acted on this suspicion. I thought the most sensible thing to do then was unistall Opera as I've only just started using it. This was less trouble than the more complex changing Opera's User Prefs. paths from Single User to All Users. So I used Revo Unistaller to make sure everything had gone and reinstalled Opera but this time for the default All Users.

Yay! Just checked and it is now being recognised by Avast. I know the Stand Alone option has issues but there was no mention anywhere I looked about the Single User install having them too. But why does Avast do this when Opera was installed both times in the same C:\Programs\Opera folder? Is Avast only looking in the All Users programs folders? 

cooby

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:01 PM »
Opera always is installed in C:\Program files.
Most of the preferences, bookmarks, and so on is, for me, under Docs and setting\me\ApplicationData\Opera - check Opera's Help > About, it'll tell where things are.
So, at this point I'm confused as to what you saw and what you now see.

That said, Opera is listed in Avast's Browser integration tab, see pic.
Maybe it has to do what is/was your default browser? Mine is Opera.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
Avast showed me nothing. The Opera icon simply wasn't there under Browser Integration or Browser Cleanup.

Once I'd uninstalled Opera and reinstalled but changing it to the default All Users option the Opera icon appeared underneath that for my default browser: Firefox which itself is underneath the IE icon as in your screenshot of the Browser Integration screen. So I now have all three browsers shown.

The WebRep icon now appears in the Opera toolbar and I've since found that it is possible to shift it to the right so it's now set-up to display very much like I've become used to with Firefox.

I'm just really evaluating Opera, not sure whether I'll keep using it, but working as it should do with Avast was important. There are Opera some features I prefer over Firefox but others, like the bookmark system isn't quite as good.