Author Topic: Avast.Setup showing up in CCleaner's Registry Cleaner  (Read 6405 times)

Offline EmoHobo

Avast.Setup showing up in CCleaner's Registry Cleaner
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »
I do a scan once every few days and I noticed Avast.Setup showing up quite frequently in the registry cleaner, I've made no changes to Avast and this only showed up since upgrading to 8.0.1488.  Is this anything to be worried about like an issue with the program or my system?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast.Setup showing up in CCleaner's Registry Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
if you give the full registry location....maybe somone knows the answer?

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »
I like an idiot deleted it, so it will have to wait, I totally thought I didn't delete it, but I guess I did.

stevejrc

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »
I wouldn't worry, just un-tick it (ignore) as its a temporary file used during Avast updates and is deleted by avast afterwards. CCleaner is just trying to remove its reference in the registry, like many "same name" temporary files it will return and so its normal for CCleaner to think its no longer needed.

I've  had  Avast.Setup showing in CCleaner occasionally for the last year or so.

Theres no problems in deleting it either, it will just return.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:02:59 PM by stevejrc »

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
Thanks Steve, glad to see I'm not alone on that and that it's probably nothing to worry about.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
It's best to leave avast to do it's own housekeeping rather than have CCleaner do it, untick avast from CCleaner's application list "note" there will probably be entries for both both 6 and 8 so untick them both.

Just realised you said the entry was in the registry detection :P you can right click on the avast detection and add to exclude list.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:18:41 PM by craigb »

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
How do I do that CraigB?

Nevermind, I found it, will that effect the Registry Cleaner as well as the normal cleaner as it was under options for the normal cleaner.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
How do I do that CraigB?
I edited my previous post :)

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:16:33 AM »
Well this wasn't needed then.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:39:58 AM by EmoHobo »

iroc9555

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 03:32:57 AM »
Do not trouble yourself. Avast.setup appears in your system when downloading and installing VPS updates. When every thing is finnished avast.setup is removed of the system by itself ( Avast!). When an execute file is run in your system, Windows stored the applicaction file name in MUICache so that next time it is run it will be easier or faster to access. You can remove the registry for MUICache and next time avast.setup runs it will reappear and create the same MUICache key for avast.setup.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 03:40:25 AM »
Do not trouble yourself. Avast.setup appears in your system when downloading and installing VPS updates. When every thing is finnished avast.setup is removed of the system by itself ( Avast!). When an execute file is run in your system, Windows stored the applicaction file name in MUICache so that next time it is run it will be easier or faster to access. You can remove the registry for MUICache and next time avast.setup runs it will reappear and create the same MUICache key for avast.setup.
Well then I just added it to my CCleaner ignore list.

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 03:53:31 AM »
Well then I just added it to my CCleaner ignore list.

Yes, you can do that as craigb told you to do above, or just remove it with CCleaner. It will be recreated again when avast.setup runs. BTW I do not like to eliminate anything from the registry unless it is necessary. Like getting rid of a program that it is giving you problems.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
It's still good to leave those avast boxes in the CCleaner applications list unticked.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »
It's still good to leave those avast boxes in the CCleaner applications list unticked.

+1 I have Avast untick in the CCleaner applications how hard is that, untick means ignore not to be touch.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
Oh no I wasn't saying your advice was unneeded, I gave a bunch of spec information that I don't like sharing unless I have to so I always modify the post afterwards to hide it.