Author Topic: FTPUtils  (Read 5537 times)

AlanPG

FTPUtils
« on: May 07, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
I installed Serif PhotoPlus and MoviePlus in 2012 and have been using them both since then with Avast Free also running on my PC.

Today Both FTPUtils (PhotoPlus) and FTPUtilsU (MoviesPlus) were moved to the chest by Avast as 'Trojans' and I coudn't use either product.

On going to the chest, the last modified date of both these files was back in 2012. The only way I can now use these 2 apps is to restore the dlls and turn Avast off.

Is this a known problem or a 'False Positive' suddenly introduced? I'm not sure what the procedure is for dealing with situations like this.

chazzy

Re: FTPUtils
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
Same happened to me today.  Loaded PhotoPlus x6 and DrawPlus Standard Edition and Avast warned of a trojan and moved  FTPUtils for both of them to its chest.  Neither program now works, and can't get the CD for PhotoPlus x6 to work either.

Not happy!

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
What I think you need to do if you're certain they're OK is go to Avast's File System Shield > Settings > Exclusions and add them to the list.

I've had a series of VERY annoying problems like this in recent months since updating to Avast v.8 with it sending stuff to the Virus Chest I know is OK and when you check it in the Virus Chest it reports 'No Virus Found'. You Restore it and then on the next scan or when you come to use that program the problem recurs. My most recent trouble was with the Tomb Raider 4 main .exe, never modified and which has been on my laptop for over two years. It has been scanned by previous Avast versions hundreds of times and at high sensitivity settings without any trouble.

I've now switched off sending stuff automatically to the Virus Chest and changed it to Ask. TR4 now works again without incident.

Strangely I've never had a problem from Avast with the one FTP utility I have on my machine: Auto-Xbins. Not a peep but Malwarebytes flagged it as a trojan the moment it was installed and I had to add it to its Ignore list. That was very much easier to do than Avast's awkward, well hidden add-to exclusion list process. GUI designers take note: simple is good when it comes to this sort of thing.

What you want to be able to do is highlight the file in question and be able to tell Avast to ignore it by adding to the exclusion list. AFAIK the only time you can do this is when the original warning dialogue box appears and if you miss the opportunity it will close and send the suspect file to the Virus Chest. Once there  I can see no obvious way for directly adding it to the exclusion list. It's either Restore, Delete,  Extract, Scan, send to Virus Lab, Properties, Add (whatever that is meant to do it doesn't take you to the exclusion list) and Refresh. No simple Add to Exclusion list option provided - why not?     

chazzy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
Thank you!

Restored my files and added PhotoPlus and DrawPlus to my exclusion list.  Both seem to be working again.  ;D

Still can't get the CD to work though.  Played with exclusions but the autoplay don't seem to be working now. :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:29:06 PM by chazzy »

Nobneb

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:55:55 PM »
The same for me..with all my serif softwares...
I also added them all to my exclusion list

johnfgolding

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »
This started happening to me today.

In my view adding to the exclusion list is only a work around.
Avast need to sort the problem out. I have sent them a series of screen shots & sample files.

It happens on all my Seriff applications.

Offline Bhikkhu Pesala

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
None of my Serif programs will run. I have already restored the files FTPUtils.dll and FTUtilsU.dll from the virus chest for all three of my PagePlus versions and for WebPlus, but the programs still won't run. I have excluded the Serif Program folders from manual and scheduled scans.

What else do I need to do?

Silverfox

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
I have the same problem!!
Avast free edition sees the FTPUtilsU.dll in Serif software as a Trojan :(

I use Serif DrawPlus X5 and Serif WebPlus X6 almost everyday, but after installing the latest Avast updates today I can't run the programs, because Avast now detects my software as Trojans  >:(

...when I make the exclusions in Avast, like you Guys suggest, I'll get a chance to reinstall my software when I run the DrawPlus.exe and WebPlus.exe, but then again Avast will start blogging the software from installing!!

It's very confusing and annoying....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:15:59 AM by Silverfox »

Offline Bhikkhu Pesala

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
I turned off the File System shield until the next time I reboot my computer.

It seems to be the only way to get some work done.

laparker150

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:26:16 PM »
I just got off serif support who did a remote fix for me - basically restored the dll and deleted them from the chest - you have to do both.  At least my PP X6 works now.

AlanPG

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
At least I'm pleased it's not a real virus. I also found some exe programs I had written myself in Delphi being flagged as Trojans when I performed a full boot scan. On looking for info on this on google I found a case where Avast flagged it's own updates as threats!

Silverfox

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:31 AM »
I turned off the File System shield until the next time I reboot my computer.

It seems to be the only way to get some work done.

Thanks Bhikkhu Pesala,

Your solution worked for me, as a temporary solution.
Now I could re-install my Serif DrawPlus X5 and start my Serif WebPlus X6   :)
After use, I could turn on Avast File System Shield once more.

Looking forward to a new update from Avast, fixing the problem!!

Offline Bhikkhu Pesala

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:35 AM »
A virus update today seems to have resolved this problem.

Downloading a program update as I write this.