Author Topic: Confusing identification of clients by ADNM  (Read 5106 times)

jstegmann

Confusing identification of clients by ADNM
« on: March 26, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »
I'm currently running a test installation of ADNM with 8 clients. To test the uninstall functionality I uninstalled the Avast! agent on 2 computers (from the ADNM console).

The uninstall works perfectly, but here's the strange thing...
ADNM still lists the 2 computers with full details on engine version, VPS version etc. when I look in the "Computer Catalogue" and in the "Dynamic Computer Grups". However, if I bring up the detailed information about the computers by clicking the computer name, ADNM correctly identifies the ADNM agent as missing. Just for the record I have rebooted everything several times and run the discovery task and refreshed more times than I can count...

The way I see it, this effectively means that I must click all computers in my managed group to check whether each client is actually running the ADNM agent. That's not very practical...

Anyone with similar experiences?

JS.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Confusing identification of clients by ADNM
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:12:35 AM »
Well... normally, the computer simply gets gray icon and the last communication time stops being updated. There's no other indication of uninstalled client(s) (you said there's some when you open the computer's properties? - what exactly did you mean?)

You're right that the uninstall task could zero out some info, though... e.g. the agent GUID and the "installed products" field...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jstegmann

Re: Confusing identification of clients by ADNM
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 11:54:41 AM »
Well... normally, the computer simply gets gray icon and the last communication time stops being updated. There's no other indication of uninstalled client(s) (you said there's some when you open the computer's properties? - what exactly did you mean?)

If I click the computer group, I get a list of all computers in the group with specific details about VPS version etc. If I then click on a particular computer (here "FSI6"), I get a mere detailed screen like this:

Under the heading "ADNM agent" I'm told that no agent is installed (the red square in the picture). But still, I can't tell from the computer list and furthermore, the computer ("FSI6") doesn't appear in the dynamic group "Computers without agent".

So, I have to click all computers to see if they are actually running the agent. It would be much more convenient if (as you mention) the uninstall process would erase the agent information and "reset" the client with regards to virus information.

But it seems that the neccessary info is there (in the detailed view), so maybe it's just a matter of getting the info displayed in the computer list...?!

CheersĀ  :)

JS.