Author Topic: Avast Full scan always reports files which could not be scanned  (Read 9880 times)

AZKID

Every time I run a Full Scan the Avast log shows an error message for over 100 files which cannot be scanned because "error archive is password protected (42056)" . I can't do anything with these files in regards to have Avast repair, delete, move to chest etc.

What should I do with these files? Thanks for any help. :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast Full scan always reports files which could not be scanned
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
hi AZKID,

These errors reported are a result of avast! attempting to open these archives.  It cannot do so as it does not know the password for that particular archive. 

It does not mean the file is corrupted, only that avast! cannot open it to scan.  One common mistake is to delete these archives because of this reported error; normal options are not available for the user.  Leave these files alone; all avast! is reporting is that it cannot scan them.

Archived files cannot be run by themselves.  They are static/inactive/compressed files until the user chooses to run them.  A setup file for a program would be one such.

If you wish, you can exclude these files from scanning by avast!

Open avast! program (gui)>Settings>enter your password if needed>Global Exclusions.  Enter the file path for each of your archived files.  Click OK when done.  What this will do is tell avast! not to scan these files when a manual scan is done.  It also will exclude real-time scanners from monitoring them as well.

A quick scan once a week is usually sufficient for a clean system as avast! real-time shields should prevent any malicious files from entering your system; full scan is to be used only when quick throws a detected instance.

Hope this helps.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
If you expand the log "box" you will find your answer.

These are password protected files which avast has no way of knowing the password. There are many reasons software authors protect there products.
One is to prevent tinkering and their copyright. Most, if not all, security software is password protected, avast is a good example, as are firewalls, etc.

The fact that they are password protected does "not" indicate an infection. Basically you can leave them alone. They will be scanned by the file and behavior shields upon execution. Password protected and archive files are by nature inert and pose no harm.

May I suggest running a scan with default settings.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AZKID

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
Thank you MCHAIN & PARA-NOID for your prompt and very helpful reply. I will take your advice and exclude these files from future Avast scans. Thanks again and have a great day  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
i can't do anything with these files in regards to have Avast repair, delete
avast is a antivirus program and will only take action on infected files....and as explained above, this is a scan error report and not detection

if you place your mouse pointer on the vertical bar just in front of severity and dragg sideways, then you get the full file path....take new screenshot and attach, then we may be able to tell you what they are
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:18:53 PM by Pondus »

AZKID

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »
Hi Pondus ... you are seeing the full path in my original screen-shot. Here is a current screen-shot with the path column expanded as you suggested.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
it seems you put the mouse pointer after severity....you must place it in front of (left side) severity

AZKID

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
Try this ....

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »
Thank you MCHAIN & PARA-NOID for your prompt and very helpful reply. I will take your advice and exclude these files from future Avast scans. Thanks again and have a great day  :)
One consequence of excluding any file from real-time scanning is that they will not be scanned when opened.  Choose your exclusions wisely.
...There are many reasons software authors protect there products.
One is to prevent tinkering and their copyright. Most, if not all, security software is password protected, avast is a good example, as are firewalls, etc.

The fact that they are password protected does "not" indicate an infection. Basically you can leave them alone. They will be scanned by the file and behavior shields upon execution. Password protected and archive files are by nature inert and pose no harm. (Italics mine)

May I suggest running a scan with default settings.  :)
This is not a tool/setting to be used at will, but only for special circumstances.  You can always choose to safely ignore them and still get full avast! protection if you do not change these settings.  All real-time scanners will be disabled for these files if you choose to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • F-Secure user
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
you have not expandet it fully, as after the word download there is  \.......\

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:37:33 PM »
We need to see the entire file path.  Drag the first column box at the top until the entire path is displayed.  When this is done, take another screenshot and post back here.

A little suspicious .png files would be archived, so...   need the entire path to help you out.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
Click the maximize button. Hover and click on one line. Then post another screenshot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AZKID

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
Sorry for the delay .... was offline for awhile. Here is what I think you are looking for .... as you can see the vast majority of the files are related to (Adobe?) flashplayer. Do you still advise just ignoring these files and not do anything within Avast and just let it be ?

Thanks again  :)

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
Delete Adobe Flash Player installer from Downloads folder.That was my problem also.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
Here is what I think you are looking for .... as you can see the vast majority of the files are related to (Adobe?) flashplayer. Do you still advise just ignoring these files and not do anything within Avast and just let it be ?

Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0