Author Topic: Mega spam with this new version!  (Read 7341 times)

tacomodo

Mega spam with this new version!
« on: March 27, 2005, 05:31:53 PM »
With the latest update to Avast I now get flooded with "Internet connection timeout elapsed" dialog boxes.

This is in connection to bittorrent downloading.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

If I can't turn it off, then Avast has to go. Why was this suddenly introduced now?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Mega spam with this new version!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 05:36:45 PM »
Turn off what exactly? If you're using BitTorrent,leave some spare bandwidth for upload,otherwise you flood the line and you'll get very long response times.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 06:16:04 PM »
I can't see the connection between this and your subject title what, 'mega spam?'

A little more information may help us to help you.

What update, e.g. what version of avast are you using?
What is your firewall? - have you allowed ashWebSv.exe access to the internet?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 06:41:15 PM »
With the latest update to Avast I now get flooded with "Internet connection timeout elapsed" dialog boxes.

This is in connection to bittorrent downloading.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

If I can't turn it off, then Avast has to go. Why was this suddenly introduced now?

Spam ? I don't see either how word SPAM (and above all, it's Mega Spam) can ever be related to the message "Internet connection timeout elapsed"...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 06:46:23 PM »
Some program (typically a P2P app) must be using port 25, 110 or 143 (the mail protocol ports) to download files. Therefore, an uknown protocol is used on the connection and the avast Mail Scanner shows the timeout message as it doesn't receive what it wants...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tacomodo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 06:35:47 AM »
Sorry I was a bit unclear about this.

By megaspam I mean 20+ dialog boxes popping up in my taskbar whenever I have a torrent on for download.

This morning I woke up and had a whole lot of these timeout dialogue boxes in my taskbar. I didn't think much of it, and just clicked them all away. Then after a few minutes (might have been an hour even) a whole load of them appeared again. This was like 20. This happened a couple more times until I closed my bittorrent program.

Now this is something new, because I've had the exact same torrent, and the exact same client going for some time now, and it just recently appeared after a program update.

I am using 4.6 Home edition. I haven't changed any settings what so ever, besides merging the two icons in the tray when I first installed it.

I'm not expert on this, I can only imagine - maybe torrents try to connect to a lot of peers. Some of these eventually times out, or just takes a whole lot of time. Does Avast monitor these connections and wait for x amount of time before popping up a dialogue box?

Either way, this is something new. I haven't changed a thing except clicking on update avast. It's extremely annoying when you get 3 pages of connection timeouts on your taskbar and it has to go, one way or another.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:38:29 AM »
If you look at the message box more carefully, you'll see that there's a name of an EXE file in it. This is the program that is making the connection.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tacomodo

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 02:58:50 PM »
Yes, and that is how I know it's the torrent downloading.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 07:10:36 PM »
Yes, and that is how I know it's the torrent downloading.

Great, now you know it. Let us know the process name too.

tacomodo

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »
bitcomet.exe

That is what all the dialogue boxes say.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 10:51:04 AM »
You need to configure the mail scanner to ignore connections from this program - insert this line to file Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini under [MailScanner]:
IgnoreProcess=bitcomet.exe

tacomodo

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »
Great, thanks.

If it's the mail scanner, I think I'll just turn it off all together.

One thing, though - Can I safely turn off "Internet Mail" and "Outlook/Exchange" if I still have "Web Shield" on and I only use hotmail and gmail?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 03:25:03 PM »
One thing, though - Can I safely turn off "Internet Mail" and "Outlook/Exchange" if I still have "Web Shield" on and I only use hotmail and gmail?

Hotmail is not a pop3 email service (unless you pay for pop service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.
The Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server (PopHotmail, for instance).

Gmail uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections and avast mail scanner doesn't support SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections. But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!. Since SSL/TLS e-mail is encrypted and decrypted in the client, external virus scanners (including avast!) can't read or scan it. The solution is to pass e-mail in and out un-encrypted from your client (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, ...) to a proxy program (Stunnel) that does the actual ssl or tls encryption/decryption of the pop3/smtp e-mail and communicates directly with the ISP server on the appropriate ports. Another drivers (OpenSSL) are need as a library of encryption/decryption routines.
The best things in life are free.

tacomodo

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 04:36:48 PM »
Great explanation!

Last question. What does "Internet Mail" scan if not html based?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 05:22:27 PM »
Last question. What does "Internet Mail" scan if not html based?

Internet Mail provider is used to protect the e-mail processed by other mail clients than MS Outlook or MS Exchange. In other words, the 'normal' email clients (Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail, Thunderbird, Pegasus Mail, etc.) that uses POP3/SMTP/IMAP protocols.
The best things in life are free.