Author Topic: Avastsvc.exe and CPU Usage  (Read 5922 times)

tacoma43

Avastsvc.exe and CPU Usage
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:38:42 AM »
Approximately 10 minutes after every boot, avastsvc.exe cranks up CPU usage to as much as 50% for about one minute.

This behavior was first noticed with v7 and continues with v8, even after a re-installation.  I'm using only the Mail Shield; all updates are set to "Off" or "Manual"; OS is up-to-date WinXP SP3.

I tried to create a dump file using Sysinternals Process Explorer but got this instead: "Error writing dump file: Access is denied."

This is an inconvenience I can live with; I'm just curious about this unexpected activity and hope to at least understand it if not correct it.

tacoma43

Re: Avastsvc.exe and CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:24:49 AM »
Any suggestions about how to further investigate this will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:06 AM »
The avast anti-rootkit scan happens around 8 minutes after boot, but this is relatively quick and shouldn't have much of an impact.

What are your system specs, CPU and RAM ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tacoma43

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
That's it — confirmed by disabling, rebooting and not observing the elevated CPU usage.

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »
You're welcome.

I wouldn't just switch it off though, I would be looking at why, because this shouldn't be happening, which is why I asked the supplementary questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tacoma43

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
80.02 GB Usable Hard Drive Capacity
46.03 GB Hard Drive Free Space

640 MB Usable Installed Memory

Is that what you requested?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
You didn't mention the CPU, computer processor ?
But if it is similar to your low RAM installed it is likely to be low powered also, that will effect scan duration, but even so the anti-rootkit scan shouldn't hamper the system that much. It does however, depend on what else is running at the time (and browsing) as that would have avast scan that activity over and above the anti-rootkit scan done at 8 minutes after boot.

You can see my system spec in my signature below my posts. Recently I increased the RAM from 2GB to 4GB as RAM is designed to be used and mine was up at 1.6GB in use at times (task manager). So I opted to increase it so that it could possibly be better utilised.

In XP I would say 1GB would be the minimum and 2GB preferable, with that you should see an overall improvement in system performance.

I don't know what other programs you allow to run on boot (but many automatically set themselves to run), you need to be quite brutal in what you allow to run on boot, system resources and security are obviously a must.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
I tried to create a dump file using Sysinternals Process Explorer but got this instead: "Error writing dump file: Access is denied."

Next time you need turn off avast self protection (settings -> troubleshooting).

user_1000

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
The avast anti-rootkit scan happens around 8 minutes after boot, but this is relatively quick and shouldn't have much of an impact.
(snip)

Actually I have noticed same thing since Avast 7.0. The Avast anti-rootkit scan takes a lots of resources (although it's fast)... and I have a quite powerful computer with plenty of RAM.

However I have resolved this by disabling that feature.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:51:15 AM by user_1000 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
Well you can see my spec in my signature, which isn't fast by today's system comparisons and I don't see any effect. But the OPs system is a different ball game, which may see an impact.

That said I don't spend time watching CPU activity, so if I don't notice any issue (slow system) I wouldn't go looking.

user_1000

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
Well you can see my spec in my signature, which isn't fast by today's system comparisons and I don't see any effect. But the OPs system is a different ball game, which may see an impact.

That said I don't spend time watching CPU activity, so if I don't notice any issue (slow system) I wouldn't go looking.

I don't spend time to do that neither... but that Avast anti-rootkit scan caused a slowdown also on my system, so I had to disable it, but I'm happy with that solution. It's quite funny that even a heavy virtualization doesn't cause any slowdowns on this system, but Avast does. :D

I never noticed any impact with Avast 6.0 and earlier.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:10:36 PM by user_1000 »

tacoma43

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
You didn't mention the CPU, computer processor ?

1.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.  The box is 13 years old with a 4.5 year-old replacement HD which probably explains much.

But if it is similar to your low RAM installed it is likely to be low powered also, that will effect scan duration, but even so the anti-rootkit scan shouldn't hamper the system that much. It does however, depend on what else is running at the time (and browsing) as that would have avast scan that activity over and above the anti-rootkit scan done at 8 minutes after boot.

[snip]

...you need to be quite brutal in what you allow to run on boot, system resources and security are obviously a must.

I discovered the avastsvc.exe activity while investigating boot-time sluggishness and freeze ups.  My low-tech solution was to disable resource intensive startup programs and just play FreeCell until avastsvc.exe is finished and then manually start the others, but even FreeCell is affected.

The age of my setup and some applications of questionable compatibility very likely cause most of my problems.  I greatly appreciate your help explaining this mysterious Avast behavior.

@pk: thanks for the instructions re: self protection and dump files!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Well though your system is somewhat resource challenged it still falls within the minimum speck, but yes there are times when it may struggle. Since the avastSvc.exe is the main scanning engine/service any other activity over and above the anti-rootkit scan is going to add to the overall load.

I just wonder if the avast update may also be running in the background, but that would show up as avast.setup in the task manager, not under the avastSvc.exe.