Author Topic: Install errors  (Read 5041 times)

Shane

Install errors
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:39:17 AM »
MSSQL v8.0.0.1

During the install of the adnm, I am gettin an error when it gets to the DB creation portion. I know the name of the SQL Server is SQLSVR (real inventive huh), and I know the sa password. The install routine complains that it can not find the SQL Server. I know its running.  The error says that there is no SQL Server found on SQLSVR. I have double checked the  sa passwd.

Would the install log help?

Any ideas? Can the MSDE version be installed on a sever that already has a MSSQL Server running.

Thanks
Shane

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Install errors
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 12:04:59 PM »
Hi Shane, thanks for the report.
Some questions:

- can you connect to the server with the same credentials e.g. from the Query Analyser? (or Enterprise Manager)
- isn't the server installed as a named instance? (you'd need to specify the instance name in the server name box then, like SERVER\INSTANCE)

Can the MSDE version be installed on a sever that already has a MSSQL Server running.

Yes, that should be possible, thanks to the fact that it uses a named instance (with the name AVAST which is quite unlikely to cause collisions with your previous install). :)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Shane

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 05:07:44 PM »
- isn't the server installed as a named instance? (you'd need to specify the instance name in the server name box then, like SERVER\INSTANCE)

I'll have to look for the server instance.

Thanks for the help. I look forward to selling these products to all my clients!

Shane

Shane

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 11:01:40 PM »
OK, got it all figured out.

Thanks!

Shane