Author Topic: Custom Install - Strange incident  (Read 4510 times)

Nagan

Custom Install - Strange incident
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »
Today went to install 1489 over the top of 1483. Since I do not have a very pleasant experience with the Avast addons , I opted for the custom install. What I find...The items in the middle of the menu (like software updater etc) cannot be ticked off . I pressed back and repeated the process again, still AVAST is not giving a choice to exclude certain modules. And over that the attempt at installation of Google -chrome.
 After installation, I had to go thru the control panel >> change to remove the modules which I did not want. Already in 1483 , I had all the non-essentials uninstalled , so the excuse of continuity will not stand up.
 I am sure there is some very serious glitch somewhere or it is not some sort of joke...

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Custom Install - Strange incident
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:17:04 AM »
Once you get to the installed software screen " with all the ticked boxes " you then have to click on custom in the left hand tabs to unlock the boxes for you to be able to untick certain features.

Nagan

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »
Once you get to the installed software screen " with all the ticked boxes " you then have to click on custom in the left hand tabs to unlock the boxes for you to be able to untick certain features.
I do not remember having seen anything on the left. If already the option of the user is exercised as a custom install , the boxes should make themselves available. Let me get back after trying out again...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
craigb is right, you really need to switch the tabs on the left side first.
I admit, it's not very easy to see that the wrong one is chosen.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
I do not remember having seen anything on the left. If already the option of the user is exercised as a custom install , the boxes should make themselves available. Let me get back after trying out again...

You should have see the following example screens during the installation process. The first selecting Custom and the second showing the tabs on the left, including the Custom tab.

For me the logic requires fixing, why have Custom Install option in the first screen if it doesn't automatically select the Custom tab in the next screen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nagan

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:13:26 AM »

You should have see the following example screens during the installation process. The first selecting Custom and the second showing the tabs on the left, including the Custom tab.

For me the logic requires fixing, why have Custom Install option in the first screen if it doesn't automatically select the Custom tab in the next screen.
Agreed a person has to be more observant , but such things defy logic. I think AVAST team looks into it.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »
It's the same stuff any number of software applications do on their install programs.
They try and push the "extras" or the "paid" trial, etc,etc.  Often they use clever wording
and/or tricky screen layout to steer the install their way.

Does Avast get a commission if some of those extras are installed?  As I said, I don't blame Avast,
they're not doing anything unique.

This is one reason I will never install through the GUI; it's not quite clear what "extras" will creep in,
if any.  I always do a clean, custom install, so i can clearly see all the options.
Usually I deselect all the extras.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Nagan

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »
I had to install 1483 in another of my system and I find that the custom install tab is indeed available on the second screen (which follows the screen which asks for default or custom install) , which enables ticking off those which are not needed. Hope next time the developers remove this  unwanted second selection once a choice is made....