Author Topic: Does Avast prefer XP  (Read 4618 times)

maestro649

Does Avast prefer XP
« on: April 01, 2005, 07:55:34 PM »
Hai Avast!

I am using Avast 4.6.623 and also i'm a satisfied customer of it. I was using Windows 98 and recently i changed to Windows XP. Now i noticed that Avast becomes more friendly in Windows XP.
I had problems in accesing dial up connection in Win 98 while using Avast in it. But now no probs.. Smooth sailing. Why so?

Does Avast mainly support Windows XP than 98.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Does Avast prefer XP
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 08:06:01 PM »
Does Avast mainly support Windows XP than 98.
I won't say that... XP is really more friendly than 98. In fact, XP is much better OS than 98...
avast, like a lot of other applications, follow the rhythm of the technology... Everything is going to XP and 98 is becoming more or less obsolete...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 08:39:52 PM »
There are some functions that just aren't available in avast with win98, this is due to the age of win98 (7 year old OS and no longer being developed).

The ability to schedule a boot-time scan from within avast (with winXP) is a major feature, not to mention the ability to have transparent scanning of Internet Mail provider and Web Shield without having to manually set the proxy, etc.

All of this is down to the increased functionality of winXP and avast taking advantage of this, not any bias in favour of winXP by avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

neiby

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:42:56 PM »
Win 98 isn't becoming obsolete...it *is* obsolete. That OS is about eight years old now, isn't it? That's ancient for a Windows OS.

Win XP definitely has its share of problems but it is vastly superior to Win 98. However, it also requires a lot more resources and some people either can't or won't upgrade their hardware.

If you can't, then that's okay. Just save up your money until you can. If you haven't upgraded simply because you don't want to then I have no sympathy. :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 12:50:04 AM »
Win XP definitely has its share of problems but it is vastly superior to Win 98. However, it also requires a lot more resources and some people either can't or won't upgrade their hardware.

If you can't, then that's okay. Just save up your money until you can. If you haven't upgraded simply because you don't want to then I have no sympathy. :-)

If you check his post, you will find he has XP.
I was using Windows 98 and recently i changed to Windows XP.

His query was does avast prefer XP and the answer is no.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

neiby

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 01:04:23 AM »

If you check his post, you will find he has XP.

Yep, poor wording on my part. The "you" I was referring to was more general and not intended for the original poster. Sorry for the confusion.

Starfighter

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 04:15:22 PM »
On one of my PCs I use Win98SE with Avast and it works fine on dial-up.   

Your dial-up problem with Avast may actually not have been caused by Avast but rather by a recent MS critical update that came out last month that causes various problems such as a BSOD while running a browser (both Explorer or Firefox)...  you can read about this patch by clicking here:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=KB891711.EXE&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

As for Win98SE being obsolete...well, if you have all the patches installed it works well.  One way to look at it is that its had longer time than WinXP to have all the bugs sorted out.  Many gamers prefer to use Win98SE over XP because 98 isn't as bloated and arguably uses less system resources=better frame rates in games etc. 

Win XP is also quite outdated if you think about it.  XP hasn't been written to take full advantage of the 64 bit AMD processors.  Win XP is still stuck in 32 bit code...

I'm sure Bill Gates and gang will soon be working on Win XXL... the extra, extra large version that does everything, but uses a terabyte of disk-space to work.  ;)

Ricky2005

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 12:07:12 AM »
i use windows xp pro and avast home and its cool no major problems