Author Topic: Avast4  (Read 8239 times)

Den

Avast4
« on: September 21, 2003, 02:25:53 AM »
The little blue box notifying me of an available update appeared on my screen but I was unable to click on it to update because my screen froze. After rebooting, I  clicked on the update button, and I get a "download screen" that seems to go nowhere ans a subsequent messagen that says;
"SERVER  WWW.AVS.COM(UNKNOWN 80) IS DOWN. THE SERVER IS INACCESSABLE BECAUSE OF A NETWORK ERROR OR MAINTENANCE / YOUR HTTP PROXY SETTINGS ARE INCORRECT / YOUR NETWORK SETTINGS ARE INCORRECT."

Would appreciate any help in fixing this problem.
Thanks.

techie101

Re:Avast4
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 03:53:32 AM »
Firstly,
What version of Avast are you using?
Has the installation ever worked properly....meaning has it updated the database automatically?
Are you referring to the "new program"update window?

Clicking on the "blue" message box will not update the program.
You can only do this by right clicking on the avast tray icon...and choosing to manually update either the db or program.

Do you operate from behind a proxy?  
Avast needs to have the proxy setting at 127.0.0.1 in order to monitor your email accounts and communicate with the Avast server for updates and such.  If the program has not functioned normally since installation, it sounds like a file corruption has occured which might mandate an uninstall and clean install.
If you can provide some additional information on your problem, we may be able to solve it.

Thanks

Skelator

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 09:37:18 PM »
techie101,

Clicking on the "blue" message box will not update the program.
You can only do this by right clicking on the avast tray icon...and choosing to manually update either the db or program.

I am able to click the box and it does update itself. (4.1.268 build) It gives hyperlinks to click. I have noticed since loading the software which at the time was downloaded on Sept.13 (don't know that build) that I'm having issues with IE not responding, would this have anything to do with the software?

Skelator

Den

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 04:28:53 PM »
Thanks for response. I'm using Avast version 4.1 Home Edition. Yes the installation appears to have worked fine from the outset until this particular problem happened. I would receive notices (from a little blue box that would appear in the lower right hand corner of my screen, above the taskbar) advising me of automatic updates. As I indicated in the original message, upon a reboot, that same little blue box advised me to click on the box to install something (an upgrade or a new version ??). I don't recall exactly what it said, but as I indicated, my screen was frozen. After a reboot, I right clicked the icon, clicked un UPDATING and then clicked on both AVS UPDATE and PROGRAM UPDATE (separately). Each time a dowmload screen would appear, but nothing happened. Subsequently, a new screen would appear telling me;
"SERVER  WWW.AVS.COM(UNKNOWN 80) IS DOWN. THE SERVER IS INACCESSABLE BECAUSE OF A NETWORK ERROR OR MAINTENANCE / YOUR HTTP PROXY SETTINGS ARE INCORRECT / YOUR NETWORK SETTINGS ARE INCORRECT."
I have no idea if I operate from behind a proxy. I am connected via cable and I use Outlook Express.
Thanks for any help you may provide in resolving this issue.

kubecj

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 01:14:41 AM »
If your Internet Explorer can see this page, avast updater should too.

Go to avast, settings, iavs. There's advanced button, next is proxy button. Set there MSIE settings.

That should help. (Consult help file, this will be described there in detail and in more correct terms, I believe).

Den

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 04:20:57 AM »
Thanks for response but I'm afraid I haven't understood. Once in SETTINGS, I see nothing that resembles your instructions. I did manage to find a setting to test the connection and it came back OK.
Would appreciate a more detailed instruction.

kubecj

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 12:08:34 AM »
So:

Settings
Update (basic)
Details
Proxy
set there 'Auto detect'
you may also test.

Now the updates should work. All the settings are nicely described in the help. Have you seen it and all the possible settings?

Den

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 03:38:23 PM »
Have done all of that and the problem persists. On the DETAILS  screen there is a note that specifies;
LAST iAVS UPDATE FRIDAY 10.29.03
and then a little lower in that box;
NEW VERSION AVAILABLE.

If I try and click UPDATE NOW, a Download screen appears, but itremains at 0%. Subsequently a new screen appears indicating;

kubecj

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 01:10:14 AM »
Then I would need setup.log file from avast4\setup directory.

My mail is kubecj AT asw DOT cz

thanks,
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 01:11:45 AM by kubecj »