Author Topic: Non Windows scan  (Read 7244 times)

gtaillandier

Non Windows scan
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:59:03 PM »
When I boot my PC from Windows install CD, is there a program that can scan my computer with the up-to-date database ?

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Non Windows scan
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:28:48 PM »
When I boot my PC from Windows install CD, is there a program that can scan my computer with the up-to-date database ?

Put Avast for dos on a bootable CD.

Link and registry key for avast for DOS into Links in my signature. Note, the absence of an internal boot scanning feature is not a limitation of avast (or even the Home version), it's a matter of Windows. In Windows 9x\Me you need to boot into DOS.
The best things in life are free.

gtaillandier

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 09:52:56 PM »
I've downloaded avast for Dos program.
I've unzipped the file in c:\temp\avast folder ; there's a lot of .exe files
I've started my PC from UltimateBootCD for Windows, but can you tell me what to do then ( which program to launch, ... )

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 02:11:41 AM »
Download
Extrat files to a folder called, for instance, avastDOS

You should 'burn' it into the UltimateBootCD (an extra folder called 'avastDOS' for instance).
Or, if you could 'remove UltimateBoot CD for a while', you can burn the folder into another CD.

Executea
aguard.exe

gtaillandier

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 08:41:34 PM »
I can't burn the folder into the UltimateBoot CD because I've used Nero to burn an .iso file into the bootable CD.

If I burn the folder into a CD, which file must I launch to scan my hard drive. I have several .exe files ( _MSTEST, AGW, AVAST, FGW, INSTALL, LGUARD, LGW, SGW ) some .com files ( AGUARD, AVINFO, BGUARD, ... ) and .bat files ( CHECK and SCAN ).

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 10:20:43 PM »
I can't burn the folder into the UltimateBoot CD because I've used Nero to burn an .iso file into the bootable CD.

If you burn the CD and after copy the contents to HD, add the avast folder and burn again all the contents on another bootable CD... it should work.

Anyway, you can burn another CD and change after booting.
To the last question, see my previous post: AGUARD if I'm not wrong...

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »
This is also a consideration: Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
Extract:
What is BartPE and PE Builder?

Bart's PE Builder helps you build a "BartPE" (Bart Preinstalled Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from the original Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installation/setup CD, very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.

It will give you a complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files to a network share, virus scan and so on.
This will replace any Dos bootdisk in no time!

PE Builder is not a Microsoft product and does not create Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment ("WinPE"). Using PE Builder does not grant you a license to Microsoft WinPE or to use the Windows XP or Server 2003 binaries in a manner other than stated in the End-User License Agreement included in your version of Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. Microsoft has not reviewed or tested PE Builder and does not endorse its use.

Please do not contact Microsoft for support on the preinstallation environment that has been created by PE Builder!
Microsoft does not provide support for PE Builder or for the preinstallation environment created by PE Builder.

The PE Builder program (pebuilder.exe) runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE. It does not run on Windows NT4/ME/9x.

To avoid any confusion, the bootable CD generated by PE Builder should be called by its nickname "BartPE"!

Requirements to build:
The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
Supported Windows versions are:

Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.

A good program to slipstream Windows service packs is AutoStreamer
Windows XP service pack 2 may be obtained by download (266MB) or by ordering a CD

The BartPE CD uses the McAfee virus definitions from the sdatxxxx.exe from ftp://ftp.nai.com/commonupdater

With some work, you can put avast! for DOS on the CD as well
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 01:07:11 PM by xistenz »

gtaillandier

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 06:13:54 PM »
I've unzipped avast77e.zip in c:\temp\avast dos folder.
I don't have any file aguard.exe only aguard.com.

Just one question : after burning the content of the folder on a CD, if I scan my PC the database won't by uptodate, isn't it ?

Is there no program that can use the database that is stored of the hard drive and that is used by Avast Home for Windows ?

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 06:25:15 PM »
I've unzipped avast77e.zip in c:\temp\avast dos folder.
I don't have any file aguard.exe only aguard.com.

My fault, lguard.exe is the one...

Just one question : after burning the content of the folder on a CD, if I scan my PC the database won't by uptodate, isn't it?

It won't be easy (or even possible). The virusdabase must be burned into the CD.

gtaillandier

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 09:05:45 PM »
I've downloaded avast77e.zip and unzipped the content in c:\temp\avast folder.
I've booted my PC from UltimateBoot CD for Windows.
Under command, I've launched lguard.exe and I've got the following error message :

Serial number AS770.!DEMO!!
Registration key invalid or not found.

Can you help me ?

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:09:54 PM »
Registration key invalid or not found. Can you help me ?

Sure, click on 'Links' in my signature and browse for the section avast.
There is the Registration key. Run it from your HDD and burn the CD only after that...
Another place for this key is 'FAQ' in my signature too...

gtaillandier

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 08:37:36 PM »
Thank you for your answer.
I've run avast.exe ( to enter the licence number )  : no problem.

When I lauch lguard.exe, a screen with special characters appears. A few seconds later, I get an error message
"C:\temp\avast\lguard.exe  Processor NTVDM has encountered an unauthorized error CS:eh65 rp:4131 op:fe db 85 2b cc. Choose Close or Ignore".

Can you tell me where it comes from ?

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 09:58:24 PM »
When I lauch lguard.exe, a screen with special characters appears. A few seconds later, I get an error message
"C:\temp\avast\lguard.exe  Processor NTVDM has encountered an unauthorized error CS:eh65 rp:4131 op:fe db 85 2b cc. Choose Close or Ignore".
Can you tell me where it comes from ?

Unfortunatelly, I can't... I've used avast for DOS burned into a CD once... I don't remember and this message is very obscure for me...
Maybe someone from Alwil.  ::)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:48:06 AM »
The problem might be caused by a low-memory condition (i.e. not enough memory available for the DOS program). Create a shortcut (.pif file) for the DOS executable and increase the amount of EMS/XMS memory to some higher number there.