Author Topic: Windows 8 System Error tcpip.sys  (Read 3499 times)

dbianco

Windows 8 System Error tcpip.sys
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »
I saw that Avast wasn't functioning well with Windows 8 earlier in other forum posts. I bought a new Dell laptop and it kept giving me the tcpip.sys error. I sent the laptop back and purchased an Asus. The first thing I do is install Avast when I get a new computer. I again got the error tcpip.sys and it occurs after about 5-10 min of the laptop being on. I contacted Microsoft and they suggested uninstalling Avast to see if that works. I uninstalled it and have had no problems. Avast needs to get this fixed so I don't have to install a different anti-virus software.

ram1220

Re: Windows 8 System Error tcpip.sys
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:04:58 AM »
 Did you uninstall any preinstalled antivirus programs on either of the two laptops? From what I'm reading on the internet you problem may be caused by having more than one antivirus program installed at a time.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:31:50 AM »
Did you uninstall any preinstalled antivirus programs on either of the two laptops? From what I'm reading on the internet you problem may be caused by having more than one antivirus program installed at a time.

This is a good point as most always, new laptops/computers come with an ( promotional) anti-virus installed.
Even if it's not running it has to be uninstalled (preferably with the vendor's uninstall utility) before another anti-virus can be installed correctly. :)

dbianco

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
Uninstalled McAfee and then installing Avast solved the problem.

Thanks!

ram1220

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
Good deal! Thanks for reporting back.