Author Topic: Netclient communication errors  (Read 6244 times)

JOHNSONP

Netclient communication errors
« on: April 07, 2005, 10:20:06 AM »
Hi There

I have the latest version of ADNM installed, but all my managed clients seem to post the following errors in their event log:

Cannot connect Third server conn attempt (last good: 192.168.1.11:16111) failed. socket, WinSock error 0x0000274D has occurred. 

This happens every few seconds and is almost immediactely followed by an information event:

Looked up an AMS: 192.168.1.11:6011.

Which is the correct IP on our network where the ADNM is installed.  This is causing us a bit of a problem as all the computers on the network with avast! are now doing this and clogging it up.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Peter

PS. ADNM installed on SBS2003, all clients are WinXP SP2/Win 200 SP4 with all the latest patches etc.  This has only started happening since deploying the managed client, previously we used the standalone client on each machine with no problems.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 10:30:57 AM by Pedro »

JOHNSONP

Re: Netclient communication errors
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:34:39 AM »
I just found this thread searching in Google, but I'm not sure what it says - looks like exactly the same problem:

http://forum.asw.cz/index.php?topic=1437.0;prev_next=prev

Thanks
Peter

JOHNSONP

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »
I managed to sort it out - for some in-explicable reason, the managed client package had the communication port set to 16111, so of course when I deployed this, that is the port the clients were looking for. 

I have never set this to that value, and in fact when I changed it to 6011, uninstalled all the managed clients, then re-installed, all seems to be well.  But where did this value of 16111 come from? It's a mystery...

Thanks
Peter

PS. I now have some managed clients that show up with grey icons rather than green, even though they get updates from my local server.  Still this is not so bad...

ink

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 05:32:31 PM »
I have an identical problem, how did you solve it? I don't understand why there is this problem, because for me it started after a certain number of correct deployments. Now, all further deployments I make have this problem.

It's funny because the avast4.ini on the server has the correct port value (ClientListePortAddress=6011), and that value is on avast4.ini on the clients I deployed before having the problem.
Now all the deployments generate an avast4.ini (on the client) with ClientListePortAddress=16111.
If you read the administration guide (rev. 1.0.4, not present in rev. 1.0.3), it talks about the 16111 port in case you need to configure a firewall.

I just don't understand what's going on, and sadly moderators are not helping us.
Many times I get useful support and help on this forum, now it seems we are on our own with problems.

Best regards to all.

JOHNSONP

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »
I got a mail in the end from the support guys which helped me sort it out - see below.  Essentially the port numbers have to match - 16111 is the recommended port as this does not conflict if you happen to have Exchange Server on your ADNM box.  The bit I hadn't done was restart the management server after changing the port.  You also need to make sure that your NetClient installation package references 16111 as well for new deployments.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,

it seems that you upgraded your AMS from an earlier version, but answered "No" when asked if you want to update the port number.

That is, the server is still using the old port number (6011) but the
client(s)
are expecting the new value (16111).

You'll need to change the value by opening the file

avast Management Tools\Data\avast4.ini,

and changing the value 6011 to 16111.

Then restart the avast Management Server service, and you should be all set.

Thanks,

Ondrej Vlcek
program manager
ALWIL Software
+420 604 225 305

ink

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 06:16:49 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing the information of the email.

I remember I read something about a port conflict with exchange, but fortunately I don't use it on AMS.
I changed the setting as suggested, I hope that don't break connectivity with already deployed clients...

Thanks again and best regards.