Author Topic: Anti-theft finding location  (Read 4790 times)

ashimashi

Anti-theft finding location
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »
Hi,

I currently use the Avast app for my Android phone Samsung galaxy S2. I have the Anti-theft locate phone continuously tracking my phone hourly.

I have 2 questions regarding this.

One of the 2 sources for the tracking is called GSM. Does GSM tracking work if wifi/service is not available? It seems like GSM is much more accurate than Wifi. Wifi is 150m while GSM is 20m

Secondly, my wifi and data and GPS is always off to save battery as it does drain a lot. But once an hour, Avast turns on my wifi for a couple minutes to track my location and then it turns off again. The only problem with this is that if there is no wifi connection at that time, it won't track my location and my wifi stays on until I turn it off. Is there a way for me to change it so that it turns on my data instead of my wifi. I have 6GB of monthly data so I do not mind if it uses my data to track location.

To be honest I want it to be able to track most accurately as possible, but I don't want to leave my Wifi, Data or GPS on all day for it to do so.

Thanks

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: Anti-theft finding location
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
Dont you mean GPS? No, its dependant of number of satellites, covered or clear skies, buildings etc
GSM is a cellular network and is "able to" triangulate your position but not that good, Wifi however, its dependant of signal strength and other things.

GPS doesnt use battery unless an app is using it.

ashimashi

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
Thanks, but there is still a problem with this.

Even if it can track my location in the middle of the road without internet connection, how does it update in my avast account? Like I said my data is always off since a lot of apps and widgets use data so it will drain it. At the moment Avast turns my wifi on for a couple minutes and I believe it updates my location. But in the middle of the road it turns my wifi on to update but there is no connection, after a couple minutes it turns off the wifi without updating the location. I want it to use my data instead of my wifi to update in my avast account.

ashimashi

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 02:13:34 AM »
Anyone?

ashimashi

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:44:49 PM »
bump

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
hi the wifi is just turned on to scan for access point IDs which are used to get a more finegrained location. It is not used for communication.
we do not automatically turn of mobile data because thats only possible on rooted phones.