Author Topic: Question about bandwidth usage  (Read 4937 times)

HappyTurtle

Question about bandwidth usage
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:39:01 AM »
This may have been asked before, but i couldn't find anything recent using search.

I know that most internet traffic gets routed through AvastSvc.exe, but is there any way to see which programs are actually sending/receiving information? Could it be done through avast itself or would I need a 3rd party program? If a 3rd party program is needed, any recommendations? I'm using Windows 7 64-bit if that helps.

Thanks!

Aventador

Re: Question about bandwidth usage
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »
Its build right into Windows 7 Task Manager. Go to start and type "resource monitor" and open it up. Click on the network tab. You can also download Comodo Cleaning Essentials. In there is a great task manager replacement called KillSwitch.

http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:50:22 AM by Aventador »

HappyTurtle

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
Thanks for the quick response, but I actually already knew about the resource monitor. The reason I ask is because I'll sometimes get periods of intense bandwidth usage with no apparent cause, and in the resource monitor it shows AvastSvc.exe as using most of it. I'm looking at CCE now... do you think that it would work better than the windows resource monitor?

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:10:52 AM »
Thanks for the quick response, but I actually already knew about the resource monitor. The reason I ask is because I'll sometimes get periods of intense bandwidth usage with no apparent cause, and in the resource monitor it shows AvastSvc.exe as using most of it. I'm looking at CCE now... do you think that it would work better than the windows resource monitor?

Its personal preference thing. You asked so I gave you two options. I use CCE cause its a great program with many features. Its also fully portable and requires no installation.

HappyTurtle

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:17:57 AM »
Ah okay. I'd still like to be able to see which programs are having their traffic routed through avast, and the resource monitor doesn't seem to do that unless I've missed something.

Aventador

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 06:31:13 AM »
Nothing gets routed through Avast. Avast's Web Shield scans port 80 which is when your browsing the internet. Do you have Avast Free?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:37:11 AM by Aventador »

HappyTurtle

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:26 AM »
Yes, I have the free version. And that's odd, I've seen it said that traffic does get routed through avast in various places, including this forum:

Everything on your system that connects to the internet is routed through avast including all windows processes.

Aventador

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:03 AM »
Well maybe I am wrong. Its probably part of the cloud service. What speed is your connection? I am on an 18MB connection and never notice a thing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:47:52 AM by Aventador »

HappyTurtle

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:57:40 AM »
Haha, it's a DSL connection that's supposed to be 300 Kb/s, but is usually more around 150-200 (US internet sucks). Just tested it at speedtest.net and came up with 0.21 Mbps. Any time something needs to update it slows my connection to a crawl and, assuming that's what is happening, I'd like to be able to know which program is doing it.

Aventador

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:33 AM »
Speed Test.net always gives poor results. Use this. But if your not getting what you are paying for then its not Avast's issue its your ISP's. I pay for an 18MB connection and I get anywhere between 15-18MB.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.att.com/speedtest/

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

HappyTurtle

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:51 AM »
An extra 100 Kb/s isn't going to matter if a mystery program is going to max it out anyway, so that's not really the issue.

I just need to see which programs are having their traffic routed through avast. Do you know if that's possible?